PDA

View Full Version : Drag and drop between regions

Daniel-Percy
1 Feb 2010, 10:19 AM
Dear forum members,

I am evaluating Ext Js for the implementation of a full blown rich web-GUI for some days now and at the moment it seems to be the best choice.

There is one last requirement to fullfill, before I am "on go" with Ext JS, that I can't find a solution / example for:

Drag and drop between regions of a (possibly nested) border layout.

The basic information of

easy: DD between regions is possible with Ext JS without any rocket science,
difficult: DD between regions is possible with Ext JS, but only for long experienced Ext-developers.
very difficult: possible if "hacking around the library"
not possible at all (I don't guess so)

would already be of help for me.

Maybe somebody even knows an example or documentation to look at. That would be great.

I did quite some research in google and this forum on the topic, but did not find an answer yet. I just can't believe I'm the first one to encounter this.
(Who seems to use Ext JS and do DD between regions is the site oryx at http://bpt.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/Oryx. But they don't offer source code plus their app will only work with Firefox, not with IE.)

Best regards,
Daniel-Percy

Animal
1 Feb 2010, 11:02 AM
The "between regions" thing is a red herring.

You just mean drag and drop. Between a DragZone and a DropZone.

But by the sounds of it, you are starting out ill equipped.

Daniel-Percy
1 Feb 2010, 11:35 AM
Thank you for your quick response!

You are totally right, when by "ill equipped" you mean, my knowledge of the Ext JS API is minor.

Still I could manage to successfully test nearly all Ext JS features, that I need for the desired application, by myself with hand-written source - along examples and documentation. Except the region DD which I failed to bring to work.

I deduce from your answer, that if I make proper use of DragZone and DropZone, DD between regions will work out of the box. This is enough info for me to stick to my test-source once more and retry.

... unless you totally disencourage me to use Ext JS to implement a border-layout-driven rich GUI, without going through a three months training on Ext JS in advance. "Learning on the project" is a factor I can't influence on this job.

Maybe I also did get something wrong as a non-native english speaker.

Best regards,
Daniel-Percy

Animal
1 Feb 2010, 1:11 PM
Yes, it will work.

You will have to read the docs, read the examples in your examples directory, and, most important, create several experimental pages in which you learn how to use DragZones and DropZones.

Don't just dive into writing your app. The time spent grasping the concepts fully will be repayed with a more solid app.

ruchika
2 Feb 2010, 1:36 AM
Hi,
Can we do drag and drop in the same region just to change the position of the contents? or is there any other way by which we can change the order of the rows in a particular region.?

thanks,
Ruchika