PDA

View Full Version : 4 simple beginner's questions

TheMonolith
16 Feb 2010, 5:52 AM
Hello,
I have some getting productive with Ext JS. I hope you can help me by answering the questiosn below.

1) For which aspects of Ext JS ist the inclusion of the line Ext.BLANK_IMAGE_URL = 'images/s.gif'; necessary? So far, omitting this line has not caused any problems for me.

2) Is it just me or are Ext JS's error message often very unspecific and rarely helpful in locating the actual problem? I spent two hours today finding an error today for which I got the message: "b=0"... Also, is there a way to get more specific error messages?

3) What's the best approach to learning Ext JS if you are totally new to it? I have read the first 50 pages of the book "Learning Ext JS" and found it helpful for setting up an intial test application but I was disappointed that it left me in the dark when it comes to explaining how Ext JS really works.

4) Why do I get the error message "Ext.msg is undefined" for the code below (the paths are set correctly)?

<html>
<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../lib/extjs/resources/css/ext-all.css" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="../lib/extjs/adapter/ext/ext-base.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="../lib/extjs/ext-all.js"></script>

<script>

Ext.onReady(function(){
Ext.BLANK_IMAGE_URL = '../lib/extjs/resources/images/default/s.gif'; // specify spacer image
Ext.QuickTips.init(); // enable quick tips

// do some other stuff
Ext.msg.alert("bla", "more bla");
});
</script>
</head>

<body>
</body>
</html>

Animal
16 Feb 2010, 6:12 AM
http://www.extjs.com/deploy/dev/docs/?class=Ext&member=BLANK_IMAGE_URL

http://www.extjs.com/learn/Ext_FAQ_Debugging#Include_uncompressed_source_files

"really works" as opposed to what? You really want to find out about what it does, then read the source.

Because there is no such thing as Ext.msg in which manual did you find that?

Mike Robinson
16 Feb 2010, 7:58 AM
As to the fourth point, "wElcOmE To tHe WunNerFuL WoRLd oF CaSe-SenSitIviTy!"
8-|

rbastic
16 Feb 2010, 10:12 AM
here's the actual answer you're looking for:

Ext.MessageBox OR

Ext.Msg

is what you want....

VinylFox
16 Feb 2010, 10:51 AM
You sure you actually read the first 50 pages? Because the answers to all of the questions you posed are in there. Very standard beginner stuff.

TheMonolith
18 Feb 2010, 5:34 AM
Thank you for your help.