PDA

View Full Version : Which inline editor is best/easiest to impliment

dirtdevil
6 Apr 2010, 8:44 AM
I want to do simple inline editing in my forms where the fields look like display fields but when you click on one or (tab over to one from another field) it switches to an editor field (text field or combo field) allowing you to change it and after you hit enter or tab to the next field. After doing some research I found two solution for this...

The built in Ext.editor solution and the bolt on InlineFormFields solution here...

http://www.extjs.com/learn/Extension:InlineFormFields

But which one is the easiest to implement that does what I need it to do? Why are the different? If we already have a Ext.editor then why bother making the InlineFormFields tutorial?

jsakalos
6 Apr 2010, 10:29 AM
I cannot compare, I use neither of them. The extension you mention is 2 years old so the code may need to be ported.

I think that you could get better response to general questions like this if you posted in a public forum. Non-premium members, even if they had answers cannot post here.

dirtdevil
6 Apr 2010, 11:13 AM
How do I move this thread to the public forum and if you use neither solution to inline editing, what do you use?

jsakalos
6 Apr 2010, 11:47 AM
I do not use inline editing at all. I can move this thread to a public forum, just tell me which, general discussion?

dirtdevil
6 Apr 2010, 1:03 PM
Ext JS Community Forums -> Ext: Help

p.s. If you don't use inline editing at all then how do you do dynamic editing in a form? Granted the old school way of a details form and edit form is ok but inline editing is a huge leap in user experience.

jsakalos
6 Apr 2010, 1:17 PM
Moved.

PS: I use standard forms,
Label: [ ]

dirtdevil
6 Apr 2010, 1:20 PM
What do you mean? Could you give me some example code?

jsakalos
6 Apr 2010, 1:48 PM
I mean, I do not switch fields between read-only/editable. When I need a form I use a standard Ext one, such as here: http://www.extjs.com/deploy/dev/examples/form/dynamic.html

dirtdevil
6 Apr 2010, 2:23 PM
Well, I think an easier solution to both of those options I gave would be to just disable a textfield and make it's CSS appearance look like a displayfield. There are only 2 problems I can't seem to fix...

1. How to change the css of a text field when it's disabled/how to change it back when enabled

2. Theres no click event for text fields which is really odd because thats one of the most common events that an object has.

I did some searching and other people have asked the same question but a lot of the answers went over my head.

p.s. Why wouldn't you use inline editing in your apps? To me it makes edit only and view only forms a thing of the past.

dirtdevil
7 Apr 2010, 12:39 PM
bump

anestesiadorhvs
5 Oct 2010, 8:55 AM
Hi dirtdevil, Ive tried to do the same, I use InlineFormFields with a form in Hbox layout, however I think is a better solution to make compositefields with this function but the field retrieved by the inlinefunction is the compositefield and the inline effect is missed