PDA

View Full Version : Noob Help

ackerchez
27 Apr 2010, 9:13 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am coming to the Ext JS world from Actionscript and I have been having a hard time wrapping my brain around this new library. I am totally used to a compiled environment and have been struggling to understand how to properly lay out a page/app using Ext JS.

I am sure that I am going to take quite a beating for this post but I was hoping that someone out there would have some advice about the best way to transition from using a compiled language (Flash / Flex) to using Ext JS. I can see all the richness that there is here, but what is the best way to architect?

I have been through tutorials and have seen how to work with individual widgets, but I cant imagine that the average webpage using Ext JS is just using server script and then using the onReady() function to get all the layout done...can someone shed some light or maybe point me to a resource that is actually practical in teaching you how to use Ext JS to develop an slick RIA? A vast majority of the resources that I have come across seem to think that the idea is to explain what a string is instead of practically explaining how to architect an app with Ext JS.

Thanks in advance!

CrazyEnigma
27 Apr 2010, 9:40 AM
With most languages, it's just easy to start with the basics; start with something small. I can only offer that you work through the tutorials one at a time. Start something small and work your way up to understanding what you are doing. The same went with me when I started with Flash actionscript.

Once you get comfortable with EXT JS lazy configs and listeners, you may want to start extending one of the EXT JS components. The EXT JS API is a big starting point, and has all the necessary links inside. I would also look at examples and view the source code.

javascript is more loose than actionscript, and if you have used prototype in actionscript, you can use the same concept in EXT JS, but you may want to examine how Components are created in EXT JS.

Get yourself familiar with Firebug for FireFox, because it will be your best friend.

Do you know JSON? If you don't, you are going to know him pretty well.