Huge memory leak
Designer version tested:Operating System:Framework:Description:
- Designer does not release memory used by components when loading a new project. Designer continues to consume memory until it crashes. On WinXP, it will typically crash once memory usage exceeds 1GB RAM. Simply opening new projects without makes changes and without closing the XDS window will cause the application to become slow, unstable, and vulnerable to crashes.
Steps to reproduce the problem:
The result that was expected:
- At the moment of initializing XDS, memory usage is about 60MB
- Open a large(-ish) project - my 4.x project is over 640KB.
- After opening my 640KB file, XDS memory usage is about 275MB.
- Click preview (on any viewable class). XDS memory increases to 300MB.
- Close preview and memory returns to about 275MB.
- After previewing the same class a few times and closing the preview window each time, the memory usage increases about 10MB.
- Open a new project (from File menu). This time I choose a small 65KB 4.x project.
- Memory usage increases to 300MB. There is no apparent release of memory consumed by the previous project.
- From File menu, Select open and reopen the same project (discard changes if needed). XDS memory usage increases again to 330MB.
- From File menu, Select open recent and I selected the first opened large 4.x project (filesize= 640KB ). XDS memory usage balloons to 470MB!
The result that occurs instead:
- When opening a new project without closing Designer (aka XDS), all objects should be properly destroyed/deleted from memory.
Screenshot(s) or Video:Debugging already done:Possible fix:
- Memory isn't properly managed. XDS continues to consume memory until it finally crashes without saves and recourse.
Thanks for the report, we will look into this.
Wow nice report lorezyra