Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [FIXED-131] Android: Scrolling Issues

Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Ext User

Default [FIXED-131] Android: Scrolling Issues

In some of the demos the browser-implemented Scrolling feature of my Android browser seems to "overlay" the Sencha-implemented scrolling.

For instance the list demo in Kitchen Sink:
    When I try to scroll down, the browser-implemented scrolling drags the page a bit up, so that on the bottom of the page a white stripe in the height of the upper navigation bar remains. The Sencha scrolling still works after that, but sticks very often, when I scroll through the list. (On the other side, the ABC..-Panel on the right side works fine.)

Is this a known issue?

Device: HTC Desire, Android 2.1

Same device, same problem.

In fact, scrolling on any of the demos and my own tests is basically totally unacceptable, which is a shame because I absolutely love this framework.

Other scrolling issues I have encountered:

1. Very temperamental - randomly stops responding for no reason. Usually, switching orientation resumes functionality.
    2. When it does scroll, it is very choppy.
    3. Responsiveness lag - despite the events demo seeming to capture events instantly, performing the same gesture (a quick flick) to scroll in an actual app most often does not respond at all.
    4. Not essential, but rubber-banding does not work at all on Android.

If scrolling behaved properly, this would easily be my framework of choice. Nice work guys!

Andy

Sencha User

Default mostly working as intended!

@andy I might be wrong but can I hazard a guess and say that you're an iPhone user? Scrolling on Android native is different from scrolling on iPhone native, and we've tried to duplicate the arguably poorer Android native experience. A flick doesn't scroll most Androids on native - you have to touch and drag to scroll (there is no momentum scrolling). There is also no spring-back on Android native.

We had discussions internally over whether we should duplicate iPhone on non-iPhone devices and decided that we would try to keep platform specifics intact wherever possible. You're free, of course, to go in and over-ride the defaults!

Sencha User

@ Christian There are a number of Android scroll bugs that are on our list for release 1.0. Thanks for the +1 though. We'll be looking at these.

@extmullany I have owned a HTC Desire since the day it was released! Although I develop on a Mac and my office workplace is entirely Apple based - Macs, iPhones and iPads flying about everywhere, so I've used both mobile devices quite extensively.

I totally understand what you're saying about the difference in native scrolling. It most definitely is poorer on Android, however, it IS pretty smooth and there IS momentum scrolling, via flicks/swipes. There is no native rubber-band (spring-back) altho a select few apps attempt to emulate it.

I wish I could show you the difference in scrolling. Maybe I'll video it if needed? It is unbelievably poor and no developer in their right mind would release an app on Android which scrolls like it does. If they did, it would be an instant uninstall for any user!

The main issue is probably the fact that it randomly stops scrolling at all - even with the tap-hold-move method. I've found that only switching orientation, or not touching anything for 5-6 seconds, does the app become responsive to scroll again. Again, can video if needed.

It's good to read that you say it's mostly "working as intended" because it gives me hope that you can make it better :-)

EDIT: I'll let you know what the results are like after some editing..

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by extmullany View Post
    @andy I might be wrong but can I hazard a guess and say that you're an iPhone user? Scrolling on Android native is different from scrolling on iPhone native, and we've tried to duplicate the arguably poorer Android native experience. A flick doesn't scroll most Androids on native - you have to touch and drag to scroll (there is no momentum scrolling). There is also no spring-back on Android native.

We had discussions internally over whether we should duplicate iPhone on non-iPhone devices and decided that we would try to keep platform specifics intact wherever possible. You're free, of course, to go in and over-ride the defaults!

Sencha User

@andy Tommy's just shown me scrolling on Android 2.2 that's going into the next beta release and it's much better. I think you'll be happy. The choppiness is gone, and we've also gone ahead and enabled flick scrolling and bounceback. We need to test it on 2.1 now, and see what we can do.

@extmullany That sounds great. I'm running Android 2.1 if you need someone to test it :-)

Ext JS Premium Member

I get the same problem on the tabs2 example on my Android 2.1 phone (HTC Desire).

But i find out that when i tab, its sometimes works but if its not works i tab back to the page that are shows but the icon changes then i go back to the tab i clicked on first time and then its works.

Sencha User

We are aware of the scroller randomly stopping on some Android devices. It just stops firing touch events so we are pretty powerless. It seems to happen on devices that have a custom UI layer like on the Evo 4g (Sense UI). We are heavily invetigating how to resolve this problem for Android 2.1 on these devices. (on 2.2 it is much much better, as Michael Mullany said)

Shame... I'm getting exactly the same problem on an HTC Desire, Android 2.1.

Unfortunately I just can't expect all my end users to upgrade to Froyo and any apps I develop have got to work regardless of whether someone's got Sense UI or not.

I love the idea of this framework, it could really free us from the tyranny of vendor specific SDKs but I'll have to wait until it works more elegantly regardless of phone and OS version.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast