Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [FIXED-131] Android: Scrolling Issues

Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Sencha User

The reason that the performance significantly changed between 0.9.1 and 0.9.2 (although we didn't change much in the Scroller class itself) was that we added a lot of documentation, which increased the file size. This increased the compilation time of first time code execution, and thus the performance of the scroller. After switching out ext-touch-debug with ext-touch in the examples, everything started performing like before.

The reason Froyo didn't really suffer from this, is that they are using V8 engine, which compiles much faster, and thus the performance hit isn't that noticeable. The same applies to newer generation iPhones, which have better hardware specs and compiles faster.

We are currently investigating if the compilation time is related to the file size of the individual javascript file that the code exists in, or the total size of all the javascript on the page. If its the first, then we might have to split the framework into several files. If its the latter, then the only way to test actual performance is to use compressed and obfuscated javascript.

For now we have updated all examples to use ext-touch instead of ext-touch-debug, and we will keep you guys posted on further discoveries and developments regarding these issues. More details on the issue are below for the technically minded.

------------------

After lots of debugging, we determined that JavascriptCore (the Javascript engine used on iOS and Android 2.1) compiles functions right before they are executed for the first time (JIT). This is nothing new, and we were aware of this. What we didn't realize though, is that the compilation time is directly related to the Javascript file size. The following would happen:

User touches the screen for the first time
    TouchEventManger fires touchstart event (compile)
    Scroller executes onTouchStart (compile)
    ...etc...

On older generation iPhones and Android 2.1, this compilation time could add up to several hundreds of milliseconds. During this time, the browser wouldn't fire any touch events, and the native behavior (scrolling the whole page) would take over. Then when you start moving, the same thing happened again.

User moves finger
    TouchEventManager fires touchmove (compile)
    Scroller listens for touchmove and executes onTouchMove (compile)
    TouchEventManager fires scroll for first time (compile)
    Scroller fires onScroll (compile)
    ..etc.

During all this compiling, again the browser wouldn't fire any events and the native browser behavior would take over.

Sencha User

I've reported my problem which is not Android related in another thread (http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?105466-DUPE-177-List-scrolling-issue-in-0.92) but it was closed.

I tried to minimify the js files as suggested and didn't notice any difference in speed apart from loading a bit faster of course.
    There is definitely a drop in performance since v.92 for me.
    So I did a small video to show you exactly what I'm talking about.
    As I said in the other thread, I can reproduce it with the list sample from the sdk but in the video I'm not using the sample.

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWS9Fi6NhSM

Ext JS Premium Member

I'm finding that a List will not scroll properly unless I specifically set a height or set fullscreen to true. Is there any way to get it to scroll nicely when using dynamic layouts?

I'm seeing this on Android, iPhone and Midori with 0.93

edit: I've attached an example
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hardillb; 11 Aug 2010 at 3:07 PM. Reason: adding code example

Thats not what we would call dynamic, that's no layout at all. When that is the case, you need to set a height.

Ext User

Hey guys,
    I wanted to see if this has been addressed. I am finding that I too have scrolling issues using my HTC. I have an HTC incredible and when I test it the scrolling locks up everything when I flick quickly twice. I have tested it on a Motorola and an LG and this does not happen at all on those. There must be something to do with the HTC.

This happens with all of examples.

I am not sure what can be done since all of these devices are so different. It seems like another browser war. At least for me.

Thanks,
    -toe

Touch Premium Member

Unfortunately I can confirm that the Kitchen Sink's List demo is broken on my HTC Desire (Android 2.2). As toe says it would lock up after a flick or two.

Sencha User

For the RC1 we have rewritten the scroller. The API has almost entirely been preserved. The performance of scrolling has been greatly improved on both Android and iOS due to these changes. Unfortunately the scroller still hangs (although a lot less often) sometimes on Android. I am marking this thread as fixed for now since we won't be making any more changes to the scroller until after 1.0 (except for bug fixes of course)

Touch Premium Member

I'm looking forward to testing it!... today? tomorrow? :-)

Touch Premium Member

I just saw there's a 0.98 beta available. Is this the same code as RC1 re. this issue?

Touch Premium Member

Is there some way to re-open a bug? Scrolling Ext.List is pretty much broken for me on HTC Desire. When it does scroll, then indeed it's faster than before. And the IndexBar is working as advertised. But I can lock eg. the Kitchen Sink up within a second, just scrolling the List demo :-(

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast