few times ago i had the humble pleasure to announce the release of gwt4air 1.0
since then i v received a lot of inputs about the library and i want to thank all the people that are helping me improve this library.
I hope this tool will help you port your GXT skills to the desktop just like it does help us at my company. Even if everything is going mobile today i believe the desktop wont die soon. And despite the upcoming of HTML5 , AIR will still be the best platform to deliver desktop applications using web technologies.
Well if i m writing today it s because Gwt4Air 2.0 is coming out soon with a lot of new features.
1) a big extension of the core api specially flash.net(dns, socket,..) , flash.sensors(geolocation), flash.media(video) , flash.printing(improved print job)
2) support for the Aswing UI library (http://www.aswing.org/)
Aswing is a rich UI library natively written in ActionScript that you can now use in your AIR project with GXT.(I m also thinking about adding support for non AIR projects in the next releases)
3) Excel genertion on the client.
Through the export of the as3xls library(http://code.google.com/p/as3xls/) you can read and write excel file on the AIR client.A good use case would be to export GXT grids to excel
4) a more powerfull PDF library with Pure PDF (http://code.google.com/p/purepdf/). This library is the export of the iText(http://itextpdf.com/) library to ActionScript.
you will now be able use the library in your GXT projects for AIR to read and write pdf documents
5) a GXT Theme for AIR Native Windows. Using the GXT Adapter module you will be able to generate native windows with the GXT look and feel
6) A fully customizable Notification API. Inspired from the GXT Info class , you will be able to generate native Notifications on your AIR Client. (Note those are native windows from the operanting system not from the web page like the GXT ones).
7) a lot of bug fixing and overall performance improvment
I hope you guys will like this and looking forward for your inputs