Hello everyone, after more than a month of simultaneously coding and learning extJS i have finally come to an appreciable milestone in my project. I have to address thanks to the ExtJS community and developers, for creating this framework.
Special thanks to Condor and Animal for their patience in answering the questions put up by me, even when my questions were plain dumb. Also special thanks to those who have helped me indirectly, most notably the person who created the CSS styles at extjs.fudini.net, superdit.com, pixel-mixer.com
I have no professional experience in programming since i am a college student, so any and every advice and criticism, both constructive and destructive is appreciated, especially from seasoned programmers.
I will also post questions of my own regarding the project
1) I use the same MySQL table both for registration, and operations in real-time done on the account. Should i use two tables instead?
2) The project is intended to be a real-time chat based on ajax, polling each 0.5 seconds for new messages, and each 4 seconds for buddy status (online/offline), but that's inherently very taxing to the server. Should i change it to a pseudo real-time chat, updating new messages each 10 seconds? Would that be catchy?
3) Doesn't the name 'goodTalk' raise copyright issues? Most notably with google's gTalk ?
4) What visible (or covert) security holes are in the project. (I implemented prepared statements wherever needed, but then again, i'm a noob)
5) Is that paypal donation button functional? (no, i'm not suggesting anything)
6) Please suggest some cool free hosting/domain sites, if you know any.
7) There still are bugs most probably, you might encounter them as soon as you try anything out, so...yeah.
8) Anything else on your mind, like the code inconsistencies you might find.
goodtalk.zip - project
images.zip - images, place in 'images' folder.
EDIT: The SQL file contains an error, it creates the 'goodtalk' database, but then creates table for 'chat' database. Rename the 'chat' references to 'goodtalk', or the other way.
Database overview, database table 'accounts', and database table 'messages'.