Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Sencha Touch based on Ext JS??

Sencha User

Default Is Sencha Touch based on Ext JS??

1. I am having a hard time discerning the difference between Sencha Touch and Ext JS. I initially made the assumption that Sencha Touch was built on top of Ext JS (meaning it imports that framework) and adds a layer of touch support on top of it. But after looking at the API docs for both platforms, it does not appear this is the case. It appears Sencha touch is a separate platform with its own core layer. Can anyone clarify this?

2. I would much rather code in pure Java and use the GWT layer. Can anyone point me to a list or a chart that will tell me which Ext JS and Touch APIs are exposed in GWT/Java, which ones are not, and which ones are upcoming?

3. Will the Ext Designer be extended in the near future to generate Java/GWT code instead of raw Java Script?

Thank You,
    Eric

Sencha User

I forgot a few questions...

4. The Ext GWT examples include some Chart examples. However, nowhere in the Ext GWT API documentation do I see any chart APIs. Were the GWT chart examples simply pulling in some raw Ext JS chart code?

5. Can you mix-and-maxt Ext GWT, Ext JS, and Sencha Touch code all in the same web app project?

6. Has anyone integrated the Ext JS components into a WebObjects server application, or a JBoss or Apache Servlet application? In other words, has anyone for example built reusable WebObjects components that include Ext JS code? Is this even possible, or does Ext JS have to be installed in its own custom deployment environment?

- Eric

1) They share some common code and a fairly similar way of doing things, but I wouldn't say Touch is built "on top of" Ext. Ext4 and Touch will share a common set of core libraries, for example the data package will be the same.

2) I'm not really sure what you're asking here, nothing in Ext/Touch is exposed in Java, it's all JS.

3) there's no plans to do this at the moment

4) No, GXT has a separate code base, it doesn't rely on ExtJS.

5) In general, no. For example Touch and Ext share the same "Ext" namespace. But then why would you want to mix them?

6) Ext doesn't need to be installed at all, it's just javascript. Include the js files and you're running.
    Twitter - @evantrimboli
    Former Sencha framework engineer, available for consulting.
    As of 2017-09-22 I am not employed by Sencha, all subsequent posts are my own and do not represent Sencha in any way.

Sencha User

2. I'm asking how many of the Ext JS widgets do you have access to in the Ext GWT environment? All of them, or only a subset of them? Can you provide a list.

5. Why would I want to mix Ext JS and Sencha Touch? I think it's fairly obvious. I want a touch app that allows use for all of the widgets defined in Ext JS.

6. From your response it sounds like it would indeed be possible to integrate Ext JS widgets into a WebObjects app or a Ruby on Rails app.

- Eric

2) Gxt has a very similar feature set to Ext, most components are mirrored, but nothing is "shared".

5) That's sort of the point, the Touch product is specifically targetted for mobile devices. You don't get the same kind of experience using Ext. For example things like menus aren't really used in Mobile apps.

6) Yes, you can use it with any backend.
    Twitter - @evantrimboli
    As of 2017-09-22 I am not employed by Sencha, all subsequent posts are my own and do not represent Sencha in any way.

Sencha User

Evan, thank you for the input. However, I'm still confused on two points.

2. I assumed the Ext GWT layer was a Java/GWT wrapper around the existing Ext JS widgets. All GWT does is allow you to access your JS widgets from pure Java code. So all I'm specifically asking is, is the entire Ext JS widget base accessible from the pure Java APIs, or do you lose out on some of the widgets & functionality from the Java side?

5. I think one could argue that many of the Ext JS non-mobile widgets would be useful in a mobile app. Charting is one example (it does not appear Charting is available on Sencha Touch).

- Eric

2) No, it's not a wrapper, all of the controls are implemented with GWT. As I said above, the feature sets are mostly similar.

5) Sure, but flash isn't supported on iOS. We are working on a native charting package that will be used for Ext4/Touch.
    Twitter - @evantrimboli

Hi Evan, I had the same question as item (5). Is it possible to have both ExtJS and Sencha Touch in a web application? The reason for this would be to have an web application support both mobile and non-mobile users. On startup it uses the Ext.is.phone and launches the mobile version, versus a non-mobile version launch.

I saw your answer above, they do share the same namespace... a touch Ext.Panel is surely different a Ext.Panel in ExtJS. So, I'm confused why you kept the same packaging structure.

Can you explain the reason not to have a web application support both client types?

No, it's not possible to load both scripts on the same page, nor would you want to. Imagine you're accessing the page on your IPhone somewhere, you ~really~ don't want to be downloading ext-base and ext-all if you have no intention of using it anywhere.

Right tool for the right job.
    Twitter - @evantrimboli

Okay, right, good point... I never thought about that. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast