Thread: Impressions of Zend Studio 8?

Ext JS Premium Member

Default Impressions of Zend Studio 8?

Is anyone using Zend Studio 8 in support of their Ext JS/Sencha Touch development?

Recommendations? Experience? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Plane Wryter

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

I used to years ago but this question is more developer opinion. Some people may like all the features but I like basic. Only thing I need is ability to have multiple files open and syntax highlighting.

People ask all the time what tools people use and there are always a million answers.

For me, Notepad++ on Windows and BBCode on Mac.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Sencha User

Default Impressions of Zend Studio 8

never used d-coder, but why not use the moolah to pay for the upcoming flagship access virus?

Im using WebStorm. It has pretty decent out of the box support for Ext and since its coming from JetBrains (a company that made ReSharper) its pretty smart - it tries to understand your code and sometimes suggests better practices.

Ext JS Premium Member

I'm using Zend Studio 8 for ExtJS development.

The full javascript support is quite new. I'm still struggling with a number of bugs and performance issues. At this point I can't recommend it. The 8.0.1 upgrade made things a lot better, and they say the next maintenance patch will fix the remaining issues. There was no communication available about when this will be released though. Zend plays their cards close to their vest. I got some face time with the Zend France CEO last week, and I could only get roadmap info under promise of confidentiality.

The biggest value in Zend Studio is the Zend Server integration. You can set up Zend Server so it automatically logs full stack traces for errors and performance issues (with configurable tresholds) to its internal DB. You can then load these traces into Zend Studio after the fact to pinpoint a bug or to show profile info for performance problems. This means that you don't have to reproduce problems to debug them, and that you can debug performance problems as easily as hard errors. As far as I know there's nothing else in the market that does this.

If you don't use Zend Server, I don't see the value proposition in Zend Studio. I was using Aptana before, and aside from the Server integration there's not that much difference between the two.

Ext JS Premium Member

Update: in the current version of Zend Studio (8.0.1.v20110515) the issues that I was struggling with most are fixed. The performance is acceptable now, and the bugs no longer prevent me from using the features I want to use (with the exception of the outline panel, which doesn't work correctly for extjs code).

Ext JS Premium Member

Default Update: no longer using Zend Studio

Just an update to mention that when Zend Studio 9 was released we switched our team to JetBrains PhpStorm instead.

It's a way better IDE, especially when dealing with javascript code, and it's cheaper.

i am also a big fan of PHP Storm
    Best regards
    Tobias Uhlig