Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSS interference

Looks like we cannot reproduce this. Please provide another test case to reproduce this issue.
    Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Default CSS interference

First of all I want to tell you that Im a really big fan of extjs and ext4 looks very impressive!! Good job!

We have a problem with the ext builtin css styles. It was a problem in ext3 but it is seams that in ext4 it becomes even bigger.

Normally we work with the html5 doctype <!DOCTYPE HTML> that forces every common browser (ff, safari, ie4-9, ) to use the same boxmodel. Ext4 seams to automatically apped a calss to the body that changes the box model for the whole page (box-sizing: border-box. We use ext within our ContentManagementSystem which has to run parallel to the custom templates of our customers. The CMS is ext-window-based and runs directly on the customers content pages and does not have a separate backend. That is why we have to implement the ext CSS parallel to our customers CSS and that is why the global Style-Definitions in ext are interfering with our custom CSS styles. It is very unsexy to specifically overwrite every ext-CSS-Definition.

If we specifically overwrite all ext css the way we need it, for example within our content-area (like #content strong { ... }), it is no longer possible to have ext components (like buttons) in the same container as our content because that would break the ext components layout.

It isnt just the box model, it is the other CSS definitions as well for example all browsers render b-Tags and strong-Tags bold, thats as it is and no one has to define those tags in his CSS because it is not necessary. Since ext makes all those tags to look like normal unstyled text everyone using ext has to specifically define those standard tags aswell.

Why dont you just leave all global CSS as it is, add a class to all ext components like x-component and then make CSS definitions affecting only those classes?

That means your styles would change from this:
    .ext-forced-border-box,
    .ext-forced-border-box * {
    box-sizing: border-box;
    -moz-box-sizing: border-box;
    -ms-box-sizing: border-box;
    -webkit-box-sizing: border-box;
    }

... to something like this:
    .ext-forced-border-box .x-component,
    .ext-forced-border-box .x-component * {
    }

This would solve all interfearence problems in most environments.

Vote Rating

Seems like your talking about the reset that extjs performs. This is pretty standard and in fact super important for Sencha to be able to deliver cross browser compatibility.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Reset in general has been in Ext since the beginning and is not going to change. It's required for consistent x-browser layouts.

Regarding the border-box rules, those definitely need to be scoped to the Ext components only, even for our new sandboxing to work correctly. Having those scoped to * was simply an oversight and will be fixed before 4.0 ships.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

We will set up scoping for the resetting css to just apply to Ext components before the final release. It just hasn't made it in in time for the preview release.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Thank you for your comments and for moving my issue to the bugs section ... obviously it is on the right place here.
    It would be great if this "reset" would be affecting the ext components only Im looking forward to the final release of ext version 4!

If you are changing the css in that manner it would be great if you could restrict not only the box-model to the ext-components but also the other "reset"-styles that were affecting the whole page in ext3 on line 7 in ext-all.css:
    html,body,div,dl,dt,dd,ul,ol,li,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6,pre,form,fieldset,input,p,blockquote,th,td{margin:0;padding:0;}img,body,html{border:0;}address,caption,cite,code,dfn,em,strong,th,var{font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;}ol,ul {list-style:none;}caption,th {text-align:left;}h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6{font-size:100%;}q:before,q:after{content:'';}

I mean, why should anyone want his "strong"-tags do render with "font-weight:normal;" or the headings (1-x) to render with "font-size:100%;" that should be restricted to the ext-components and not to the "global styles".

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

When I said scoping the resetting CSS I meant both the .box styles and the html, body etc etc. So yes, they will be scoped as well

Vote Rating

Hi Tommy

Has this really been fixed in Beta1?

I'm seeing the following lines in ext-all-debug.css:

Code:
    /* line 131, ../themes/stylesheets/ext4/default/core/_reset.scss */
    .x-border-box .x-reset,
    .x-border-box .x-reset * {
    }

Vote Rating

Hello,

I am still seeing issues with this in 4.0.2a. Am I mistaken (and the root cause of my issue is something else) or am I correct? Will it be fixed in the next public release and when is that?

Thanks,

Eric

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

This is still a bug in 4.0.2a; The border-box model should be applied to the components only (as stated above), but it is applied to *everything*.

Vote Rating

Hey - thanks for the confirmation. Any idea what the best work-around is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast