Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ExtJs 4 - SLOW AS HELL

Due to the impact related to this issue, we have to defer this issue to the next major or minor release.
    San Diego, Peoples' Republic of California

We have 50,000 lines of ExtJS code in our main product. I would love to convert it all to Ext 4, but we rely on a number of extensions contributed by others and that we developed ourselves that would be a major effort to redesign or port to Ext 4.

I'd tolerate the current performance issues, knowing that the Sencha dev team has historically been really good about updating the toolkit and addressing these kinds of things. It's a big reason why we use a 3rd party toolkit at all - let the Sencha guys make it work in all the browsers, deal with performance, etc.

From where I sit, the emphasis on new whiz-bang paradigms and Web 1.0 MVC model at the expense of backward compatibility is a huge roadblock. Such is the price of progress, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    I use forceFit and flex on my grids.

I have a Mac so of course I cannot test IE unless crippled in VirtualBox or something which I will not state if it's slow there or not as it's not a reliable platform to run a benchmark on.
    I like extjs framework, at least 3.X. what I personally don't like is some people's attitude here. so many posts here by users clearly highlighted the serious issue with IE. and you think the fast performance you see on your mac can help or mute all these compliants? seriously? are you still a college kid or a real professional?

Sencha Premium Member

@tprodigy1,

+1

Thank you so much for confirming what I have found with the framework. I've posted quite a bit about performance in Ext 4.x and have not come across anyone that can replicate the issues I'm seeing!

To add to the list, resizing a column or moving the location of a column in a grid is very slow too!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    @tprodigy1,

+1

Thank you so much for confirming what I have found with the framework. I've posted quite a bit about performance in Ext 4.x and have not come across anyone that can replicate the issues I'm seeing!

To add to the list, resizing a column or moving the location of a column in a grid is very slow too!
    Try resizing the browser window once the grid is laid out - then check your e-mail and come back.

stevil

I have seen exactly the same thing as this too.

My personal opinion is that the developers need to realise that their "testing" has failed and need to put a greater effort into making one of the fundamental components of Ext JS (GridPanel), work as it is supposed to, or at least how it did.

I am now aware this problem is shared by many, yet all Sencha seem able to do is make feeble excuses and pass the blame.
    My Web Design, Development & Internet Marketing Blog: http://www.aztec-online.com
    Read My Review of the latest Ext JS Framework:Ext JS 4 Review

Sencha Premium Member

I started a thread here to specifically highlight the grid issues.

To summarize,

Links to online test versions of the grid here
    Ext3 & Ext4

The following screenshots were taken on a Mac in the latest Safari.

1. Load the sample grid Ext3 or Ext4
    2. Reveal the timeline & click record
    3. Click and drag the left side of the grid window to enlarge it
    4. Stop the timeline recording

As you can see from the screenshots below, the Ext3 grid takes 1.03 seconds to perform the mouse up event. On the other hand, the Ext4 grid takes a staggering 2.09 seconds to perform the same operation.
    Ext 3 Grid

Ext 4 Grid

I started a thread here to specifically highlight the grid issues.

To summarize,

Links to online test versions of the grid here
    Ext3 & Ext4
    And Safari is one of the FASTER browsers. Would that you could get such a concise display of the timing for IE8! Well done on the data capture- great way to describe the problem.

stevil

Sencha Premium Member

Thanks @stevil,

Just to let everyone know, I've had a private message from Jamie Avins from the development team saying they are going to look into the issue and try and figure out whats going on. Fingers crossed they fix it soon!

Ext JS Premium Member

Given the nature of these forums, these msgs from Sencha really should be public so that the rest of us will know that it is being investigated... No value to leaving us in the dark

Thanks @stevil,

Just to let everyone know, I've had a private message from Jamie Avins from the development team saying they are going to look into the issue and try and figure out whats going on. Fingers crossed they fix it soon!

Quote Originally Posted by rich02818 View Post
    Given the nature of these forums, these msgs from Sencha really should be public so that the rest of us will know that it is being investigated... No value to leaving us in the dark
    To amplify on what @rich02818 is saying, I'll repeat a request for a sticky thread, editable by Sencha only, to publicize the hot button issues that are being worked. I figure that as the team triages bugs to work, Jacky can evaluate them by expected impact and put a brief summary of what you're working on, and what we can expect in subsequent releases.

stevil

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast