Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    joinsky is on a distinguished road

Default Sencha Touch and PhoneGap

On the overview page of sencha touch it is written that Sencha Touch works hand in hand with PhoneGap and it is also written :"PhoneGap also enables developers to utilize native device APIs — like the Camera and Contact list — directly in JavaScript."

How can Sencha Touch work hand in hand with PhoneGap. PhoneGap surely has a different API than Sencha Touch.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    steve1964 is on a distinguished road

Phonegap use a javascript api to access native functionality of the devices, Sencha Touch is a javascript framework, so where is the problem?

http://www.sencha.com/learn/Tutorial..._with_PhoneGap

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

can you access e.g. the camera with Sencha Touch or can you access or build anything with Sencha Touch, which you could also do with PhoneGap?

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Jack9 is on a distinguished road

Default AFAIK

I've played with phonegap a bit. Phonegap has it's own javascript API for doing things that are outside of what Sencha Touch allows you to do. The vast majority of my Sencha Touch code required 0 changes to have phonegap build and deploy to my iphone correctly. If I wanted Camera access (let's say to take a picture and show it), I would access the phone and take the picture via the phonegap api, locate the file with the phonegap api, then build what I could in sencha to display a file, then hook it together.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Do you know how PhoneGap builds a native App out of you Web-App which you have created using Sencha Touch? Does it have a Compiler or anything like that or how else can Phonegap build a native APP out of a HTML file?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    steve1964 is on a distinguished road

Phonegap dont build an app starting from html/javascript/css (as titanium appcelerator do), it's simply wrap this stuff in a webui, for more detail http://www.phonegap.com/start

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Can you acess the camera or other native functions of a plaftorm (e.g. Contact, geolocations etc.) with Sencha Touch?

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Do you know how PhoneGap builds a native App out of you Web-App which you have created using Sencha Touch? Does it have a Compiler or anything like that or how else can Phonegap build a native APP out of a HTML file?
    It uses the Webkit Safari libraries. You have to use XCode to compile, of course, but it's relatively painless. Move the Ext.Setup(...) into a PhoneGap javascript bootstrap method like dobodyonload or something and you're basically ready to compile.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Can you acess the camera or other native functions of a plaftorm (e.g. Contact, geolocations etc.) with Sencha Touch?

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Default Answer

This is documented all over both PhoneGap and Sencha-Touch (it's on the main product page).

No.

That's part of what PhoneGap is for. To bridge the gap between webkit and the phone. Phone Gap.

Thread Participants: 3