Thread: Sencha Touch 1.1.0 docs don't work.

Sencha User

Default Sencha Touch 1.1.0 docs don't work.

I downloaded Sencha Touch 1.1.0. Unzipped...

Clicked on index.html in the Docs folder and the main window pane will not load. Just says "Loading..."

Tried this in all major browsers. The folder is on my local machine.

What up? Also, what's the best tool for trying to view what it's doing...how to do this in Firebug, etc. I'm guessing a path or something but all I did is download the thing and try to view the docs. But while developing I'm going to need to know the best way to debug situations like this and need to know the easiest way to inspect the request behind the "loading..." graphic.

Touch Premium Member

Make sure you are using a Webkit based browser like Chrome or Safari. They come with their own debuggers/dev consoles.

Sencha User

In the original post I stated "Tried this in all major browsers."

Hmm.. Do you have JavaScript disabled? Also, are you opening locally in the browser as a file or through a web server to the Docs API page?

I tried my local copy in FF, Chrome, IE, Safari, Opera, and even Ephiphany and it came up (when I opened via the local web server).

Sencha User

I downloaded and extracted the Touch 1.1.0 files, browse to the docs folder and click on index.html using Chrome. Never loads the main window contents.

I have created a few sample apps using Touch and it works in Chrome.

I also have Ext 4.0.0. The docs work as expected in Chrome.

Sencha User

I managed to get these to work myself.. Had similar problems. Even now using the latest version of Safari on Mac.

If you're doing this on another OS then this process will be different, but essentially I have found that sencha touch apps don't tend to run too well unless they're being run from a webserver. Ie; they'll crap out if you try to load them in your browser from file://path to my app/

Perhaps someone else can offer an explanation as to why?

What I did was to put the docs into a folder in /Library/WebServer/Documents/<sencha-docs>

Code:
    sudo vi /private/etc/apache2/httpd.conf
    and create a virtual hosts entry:

Code:
    <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80>
      ServerName local.docs.sencha.com
      DocumentRoot "/Library/WebServer/Documents/sencha-touch-1.1.0/"
      DirectoryIndex index.html
      <Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents/sencha-touch-1.1.0/">
        AllowOverride All
        Allow from All
      </Directory>

</VirtualHost>
    and then

Code:
    sudo vi /private/etc/hosts
    and add the following entry

Code:
    127.0.0.1       local.docs.sencha.com
    restart apache.. now you can point your browser to http://local.docs.sencha.com and it will deliver it from your local docs.

Of course you can probably do all this from localhost also and forget about the apache configs and hosts file changes, I find this is a pretty neat way to manage your dev locally though.