Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yggrasil UX and Design conferance app

Sencha User

Default Any word from Android users?

Your apps look sick!

I'm looking to create a app really similar to this & curious if Android users have reported issues with Sencha Touch apps being slow to the touch?

On my Android device, all Sencha Touch stuff has been lagg-y.

Any advice?

Ext JS Premium Member SimonFlack's Avatar

We are starting to figure out android... Here are my tips.
    1. Keep the DOM small... Not so easy when bugs make it hard to remove and re-add components.
    2. Keep gradients and graphics to a bare minimum... The shadows behind the pictures are not box-shadows... they are png images. When we are ready to deploy we do a final round of all graphics and optimalize everything from format to number of colors etc.
    3. Test everything on android as you develop.
    4. We only advertise support for Android 2.1+ (aiming at Galaxy S and better). The older 600Mhz android phones are just not good enough.
    5. Use PhoneGap build and deploy to Market... seems to work better than web version.

You can test the Yggdrasil app using the Android Market version to give you an idea of performance.

Thanks for the comments :-)
    Simon Flack
    CEO and UX Designer
    WhiteFox AS, Norway

Web: www.whitefox.no

Facebook: www.facebook.com/WhiteFoxAS

Twitter: @WhiteFoxAS

Quote Originally Posted by SimonFlack View Post
    We are starting to figure out android... Here are my tips.
    2. Keep gradients and graphics to a bare minimum... The shadows behind the pictures are not box-shadows... they are png images. When we are ready to deploy we do a final round of all graphics and optimalize everything from format to number of colors etc.
    Lack of GPU acceleration really slows down the Android's browser.

Though this is not ideal, Simon's suggestion of flat graphics are the best solution until the Android team improves the browser. Develop using CSS3 for quick changes, then switch to flat graphics once you have everything nailed down.

This app is now available on the Sencha Touch App Gallery: http://www.sencha.com/apps/yggdrasil-2011/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12