Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    tarun_sharma is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Consistent UI rather than constant UI across platforms using sencha touch

Hi,
    I was wondering how do i create consistent UI across all the platform rather than constant UI. Here by consistent i mean UI should look native to that particular platform. For example a tab bar in iOS is at the bottom and has particular look and feel whereas tab bar in Android is at the top and has different look.

If i create tab bar in sencha it is by default at the bottom and provides a blue look and feel much similar to iOS, but it won't work for Android because with default look I will loose the Android app feel, it will be like iOS app inside Android.
    So how do i address this issue? Do i write if else conditions for all the platforms to layout components correctly and apply specific CSS or I can do it through theming and if yes to what extend i can do things using theming?? Note my aim is not only having different branding of components but also changing their positions/ orientations etc.

The answers of these kind of questions are must as these would decide whether we should adopt sencha as cross platform tool or not. I would be grateful if i can get any working example of this kind which runs on iPhone/iPad/Android phone/ Android Pads providing their platform specific UIs.

Thanks,
    Tarun.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    craigsmitham is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb UI strategy in mobile web apps

Tarun,

What you are trying to do may or may not be feasible with Sencha Touch, I'm not experienced enough to give you a definitive answer. You may be able to create a custom theme for each device and have them applied programmatically based on the native device. However, I think you should reconsider your UI design strategy. I can understanding not wanting your web app to look like an iOS app on android. That's just corny. So, I would suggest investing effort into developing a custom theme/UI/feel to your app as opposed to trying to make it look just like every other native app: iOS/Android (or blackberry, or WebOS, or Kindle Fire, etc). Plus, the extra effort you put into a custom look and feel can be leveraged across all platforms.