Thread: Is extjs 4 "final" ? Really ?

Default Is extjs 4 "final" ? Really ?

Hi,

Since two weeks from now I decided to begin a project with extjs 4.

I started to use the third version two years ago and really appreciate how to use efficient component and tools to design a web application.

The first six months were hard, discovering every single components and using them from many different ways to find the perfect usage version. After one major extjs projet, and two small, the whole last year was "wahoo !". I really enjoy using extjs 3 and continue to use it everytime I needed a web app !

But there is extjs 4. Actually I tested the RC versions (even beta versions) and decided to begin when a final version will be available.

The 4.0 final version did not work as well as expected and I decided to come back to the fourth version on September after trying tiny things without any success.

But now, the 4.0.2a is as bugged as the final version. I tried really simple layout (border and hbox) with really simple component (like dataview) and stores.

But many many times, I have to find workaround on the internet because known bugs poped.

Now, I have a "known bug" as usual (how many for the v4 ?) and the workaround do not work at all !

The joke is: I have to pay to download the 4.0.6 version but with little search on forum this version has too many f***ing bugs as the 4.0.2a version ?

I know I am not really friendly right now, because the past two weeks were horrible. I tried, really, I tried to do something really simple looking at every examples, 4.0.2a API docs, online (4.0.6 ?) API docs. E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. The thing is: extjs 4 is pretty impressive on paper but don't work on reality.

I love extjs coding style, and I don't want to use another framework. But if you continue like this, you will lost a sencha developer, unknown I know but somehow others. (Did I mentionned Sencha Touch bugs ?)

Please do the next release work perfectly. Please ! And please put the next working release GPL.
    I will pay for something working as my customer do.

Please excuse my english and my bad mood but I have lost so many time trying to do something. I will come back to extjs 3...

Regards,
    bydooweedoo

Sencha Premium Member

I saw Ed Spencer's comment about 4.1: "is as 4.0 should be in the first place" (or something like that...)

They (Sencha) said that 4.1 will be ready late september, now we are in octuber so I guess they are more cautious this time.

I used 3.x series but never did something for real until 4 so I cant say how good or how bad 4 is over 3 so the only suggestion I have for you is to wait for 4.1.

Regards.
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha Premium Member austin1030's Avatar

Default two ways

I've been using extjs 4 since it came out because what I heard and learned from last Senchacon.

From last Senchacon, it was awesome what extjs 4 could do and how bright for my current project.

Well, I tell ya, extjs 4 is little embarrassing. I introduced extjs 4 to all my co-workers and now they don't believe me any more.

I heard and read the blog about the extjs 4.1. Should I believe it that this one will be come back version? The blog said that 4.1 beta should be out by end of September or beginning of October. I have feeling that this would not be out until next Senchacon which is end of October.

BTW, should I be exciting about the version 4.1?

Well, right now, I'm very optimistic about it....

Writing this while being frustrating from extjs 4.0.2a.

We learned a lot from 4.0. I share your frustration at this point but I know what's coming and I think we're going to regain your trust and excitement with 4.1.

The upcoming Sencha Touch 2.0 launch will be our first major release since 4.0. If we've learned our lessons like I think we have it will be smooth and delightful.
    Ext JS Senior Software Architect
    Personal Blog: http://edspencer.net
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/edspencer
    Github: http://github.com/edspencer

@Ed,

For my part, I don't think you lost our trust - rather it seems that Sencha lost their way on the 4.0 release, in terms of QA, design problems, and as much as anything, communication.

I'm very glad to see your voice in the forums, and look forward to 4.1 when it's ready.

stevil

Sencha Premium Member

Any info on when 4.1 will be released? My site is releasing soon and I really would like to know if I should release it on 4.0.2a with known bugs or wait a little bit for 4.1.0 .

Sencha Premium User

When can we see this smooth and delightful release?

Touch Premium Member liuxing_sc's Avatar

Austin, i must say i feel in the same way, i'v promised my customers about that, hopefully, 4.1 could fix most of the bugs and more importantly, the performance issue under MS IE.
    Quote Originally Posted by austin1030 View Post
    I've been using extjs 4 since it came out because what I heard and learned from last Senchacon.

From last Senchacon, it was awesome what extjs 4 could do and how bright for my current project.

Well, I tell ya, extjs 4 is little embarrassing. I introduced extjs 4 to all my co-workers and now they don't believe me any more.

I heard and read the blog about the extjs 4.1. Should I believe it that this one will be come back version? The blog said that 4.1 beta should be out by end of September or beginning of October. I have feeling that this would not be out until next Senchacon which is end of October.

BTW, should I be exciting about the version 4.1?

Well, right now, I'm very optimistic about it....

Writing this while being frustrating from extjs 4.0.2a.

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    When can we see this smooth and delightful release?
    Right here - http://www.sencha.com/blog/sencha-to...loper-preview/

Hope you like it
    Ext JS Senior Software Architect
    Personal Blog: http://edspencer.net
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/edspencer
    Github: http://github.com/edspencer