Thread: How much should I take HTML5 into consideration while my company's website is being

Default How much should I take HTML5 into consideration while my company's website is being

My company is small and full of quasi-luddites, but we're spending about 50 grand to have our website rebuilt. I've heard a little bit about HTML5, and I wonder how much that should be taken into consideration. I don't really understand the ins and outs of it, but will it make our site defunct before long, or will we be able to manage and adjust?

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

There are lots of different things that HTML5 brings so this is a little vague.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Posts are my own, not any current, past or future employer's.

Jackmike, we have a development manager's guide to HTML5 white paper available if you'd like to learn more about HTML5. Download it here: http://pages.sencha.com/guide-to-html5.html

Hope this helps,
    Jay

Sencha User jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackmike008 View Post
    My company is small and full of quasi-luddites, but we're spending about 50 grand to have our website rebuilt. I've heard a little bit about HTML5, and I wonder how much that should be taken into consideration. I don't really understand the ins and outs of it, but will it make our site defunct before long, or will we be able to manage and adjust?
    HTML5 is great, but you don't need to worry about it if you don't plan on using its features:

- Special tags
    - WebGL
    - Web workers
    - XHR2
    - Audio/Video tags
    - App Cache
    - Local Storage
    - Session Storage
    - CSS3

For generic "web sites" the most that will probably be used are CSS3 transforms & styles, and audio/video tags alone with some special tag love.