Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is meant by a version being "supported"?

Sencha User

[Rich's follow-up post recovered from separate thread after deletion- my answer in next thread]

Sencha has recommended that those who need performance on IE remain on v3 for now due to the problems with v4. In order to understand what to expect regarding the support of ExtJS v3, we need answers to the following questions:

1. It has been stated that only a "framework breaking" bug fix "will most likely" result in a maintenance build. Thus no maintenance build can be expected to address other bugs. Is this correct?

2. It has been stated that non framework breaking bugs will only be addressed via support tickets. Is this correct?

3. Will any non framework breaking fixes made through the support portal be available in the source code via svn (or git) so that premium members can apply those fixes they need for themselves?

Regarding what to expect in svn, this if currently on the Sencha website:

When Should I use the SVN Repositories?
    Use the SVN repositories to obtain the most recent code changes, whether bug-fixes or new features. Only official releases are available outside SVN, and those releases are less frequent than changes to SVN, so if you want access to the absolute latest changes, SVN is the to get them. Having early access to code changes can be really beneficial in many cases, including testing of new features in upcoming releases, or for testing changes that fix known issues in a previous public release.

It is well known that this is not being done for 4.1 at this time.

Sencha User

Sencha has recommended that those who need performance on IE remain on v3 for now due to the problems with v4. In order to understand what to expect regarding the support of ExtJS v3, we need answers to the following questions:

1. It has been stated that only a "framework breaking" bug fix "will most likely" result in a maintenance build. Thus no maintenance build can be expected to address other bugs. Is this correct?

>> "Supported" means that you can file a support ticket against it and we keep tabs on the premium support forum for that release. There is no guarantee of further maintenance releases for any supported release - we look at the bug count and bug quality and at some point it becomes "obvious" for a non-algorithmically definable value of "obvious" that we need to do a maintenance release. There were many bugs still filed against the 2.x line when it was still supported that we decided not to do a maintenance release for.

2. It has been stated that non framework breaking bugs will only be addressed via support tickets. Is this correct?

>> Not necessarily. Other bugs might get rolled up into a maintenance release, but it's not guaranteed.

3. Will any non framework breaking fixes made through the support portal be available in the source code via svn (or git) so that premium members can apply those fixes they need for themselves?

>> I don't know the answer to that - let me find out.

Regarding what to expect in svn, this if currently on the Sencha website:

When Should I use the SVN Repositories?
    Use the SVN repositories to obtain the most recent code changes, whether bug-fixes or new features. Only official releases are available outside SVN, and those releases are less frequent than changes to SVN, so if you want access to the absolute latest changes, SVN is the to get them. Having early access to code changes can be really beneficial in many cases, including testing of new features in upcoming releases, or for testing changes that fix known issues in a previous public release.

It is well known that this is not being done for 4.1 at this time.

>> 4.1 is not yet in beta. You shouldn't be actively developing on a pre-beta release except for proof-of-concept testing. Once 4.1 goes beta it will go onto SVN.

Sencha User

Also, fixes provided via support ticket *should* then be checked into SVN and made available for premium subscribers. I will talk to the support team and figure out whether this is happening and if there are any exceptions where this doesn't happen, and update you on this.

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmullany View Post
    >> 4.1 is not yet in beta. You shouldn't be actively developing on a pre-beta release except for proof-of-concept testing. Once 4.1 goes beta it will go onto SVN.
    http://www.sencha.com/forum/announcement.php?f=93&a=17

Now I'm really confused. Is 4.1 in beta or not?

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by azuroff View Post
    http://www.sencha.com/forum/announcement.php?f=93&a=17

Now I'm really confused. Is 4.1 in beta or not?
    It is in beta.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    It is in beta.
    Is it currently available in SVN/GIT?

stevil

Sencha User

Sorry, I mixed up Touch 2 and Ext JS. Ext 4.1 is actually in beta, it should be in SVN. Let me make this happen for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12