Thread: I love Sencha and I crazy love JQuery.

Default I love Sencha and I crazy love JQuery.

Sencha is a beautiful & excellent design pattern.
    JQuery is a magic pattern.

What's happen when JQuery UI has all successfully? @http://wiki.jqueryui.com/w/page/12137947/FrontPage
    What do you think about? Please share

Sencha User

jquery is great for dom scripting. that's about it.

you have fallen for the jquery marketing machine. the only real options are dojo and ext.

jquery ui sucks. it has few of the required widgets built in to make an app. it has some plugins, but then you get to learn the api of the new plugins too. jquery's leader quit, jqui can't ship, and our team wasted a long time on it, and highly regret it.

Sencha Premium User

jQuery works well on smaller projects. There's a large number of plugins available, but this is also where your problems start as these plugins tend to favor functional style of programming and are not designed by the same team of people.

Ext is much more robust and scalable and its classes are well designed. Ext documentation is the best I have seen.

As far as Dojo... I'm a Dojo contributor (with a signed CLA). I worked with Dojo since release 0.9 through 1.3. The current release is 1.7.1. Dojo works well on large applications. It has a good support for Section 508 standards, but I still prefer Ext. Ext is easier to use and customize, the widgets look better, it's better documented, and it is just more enjoyable to work with even with all the bugs

Sencha Premium Member

I consider "RIAs" to be software that runs in a web browser (or web engine like iOS UIWebView/Phonegap) and is comparable to software native to the platform (be it desktop or mobile).

Sure there are RIA frameworks other than Sencha's such as Dojo, qooxdoo and SproutCore. Sencha's frameworks are far from perfect, yet are still most definitely the best RIA frameworks we have available as developers in 2012. The other projects don't come close.

jQuery and jQuery UI are NOT RIA frameworks because it is excessively difficult to build near-native software using jQuery-based technologies. If you want to waste orders-of-magnitude more money for a poorer user experience and bad code quality then try to use jQuery to build an RIA. If not reserve jQuery for it's niche, which is simple behaviors on webpage-oriented sites.

Also if you want post something like this at least post a comparison or make some points, why just link to the jQuery UI homepage ? Pointless. Of course we know jQuery UI exists and have chosen not to use it.

Why Sencha
    - complete framework from a class system to the data layer to the component library
    - best GUI controls/component library
    - documentation!
    - proven technology: many quality examples of production RIAs built on Sencha frameworks
    - source code is still open to read and understand, albeit you need a license for commercial works
    - open source projects may use Sencha frameworks free under GPL
    - commercially supported by professionals

Now if only Sencha could ship 4.1 with fixes for the remaining major 4.x bugs and performance issues I'd be a very happy man! Also make debugging easier, finding circular dependencies in module loading is not fun!

@LesJ your statement about functional programming doesn't make any sense. Functional programming is actually a good thing e.g. using Ext.Object.each instead of a for loop.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by superstructor View Post

@LesJ your statement about functional programming doesn't make any sense. Functional programming is actually a good thing e.g. using Ext.Object.each instead of a for loop.
    I used the term functional where I wanted to say procedural. Ext has a hierarchy of classes... and all widgets inherit from the same base classes... this is more robust compared to the jQuery plugin pattern.

Dependency management using jQuery is very tedious on larger projects...you would have to use an external loader such as RequireJS.

Sencha User

Ext JS has 2 things jQuery does not:

1) object-oriented programming
    2) MVC pattern

Need I say more??!

Thank for all share
    I rather support @superstructor in many points. but i not sure RIA is trend of user experience in 2.0 Gen that is height mobility, and now many big company such as Adobe, Microsoft came to join to support jquery i think they are not plan for only simple behaviors on webpage-oriented sites.

Sencha Premium User

nuukboon, I see that you are still not convinced. jQuery works well on smaller apps. The key advantage is small learning curve and a large number of available plugins.

However, once you start building larger and more complex applications... let's say you have a couple dozen plugins... then you will see that the learning curve becomes larger compared to Ext.

From my experience, upgrading jQuery applications is always difficult. Invariably when you upgrade jQuery, there are a few plugins that are broken... and you need to patch the code yourself (:

The only feature that these plugins have in common is that they use jQuery, but they don't inherit from the same set of base classes. There's no class or module loader...no build system... jQuery support for OO programming and inheritance is very weak... to get these features you need to use additional plugins and addons...

...and then you will ask yourself.... why am I doing this?

It doesn't make sense to use a megaton of plugins and addons built by different people if you could use a full featured framework such as Ext.

San Diego, Peoples' Republic of California

ExtJS is ill suited for most front facing WWW sites. There are an assortment of issues related to RIA that don't make sense for something like a corporate WWW site, an entertainment WWW site, etc.

For starters, a single page app isn't going to get you traditional advertising. There's basically just one banner impression to sell per visit. And last time I checked, Google AdSense does not work with dynamically generated DOM.

Last time I checked, 2% of browsers do not support JavaScript or have it disabled. It's not considered good practice nor is it desirable for advertising supported sites to turn away even 2% of its visitors.

Just about every ExtJS site I have seen all look the same. Windows Vista powder blue theme. While it's true that many sites I see look like Drupal or other CMS generated sites, the look and feel is different enough to give the WWW sites identity.

ExtJS is clearly ideally suited for the back-ends though, or corporate intranet type applications.

Sencha Touch is a very different matter.

Thank for all and very thank for @mschwartz