I know the question comes up more often but I could not find a satisfactory answer in the forums and wanted to know if anybody can help me.
I am currently working on a pretty straightforward app. It contains 13 cards via the carousel which displays one main image ( currently about 80kb/image), 2 smaller images (about 20kb each) and 3 divs with a little text per card.
I already followed the Sencha touch performance guidelines minimizing listeners, layouts on each item etc., optimizing picture size but still running into jerkiness and performance problems; basically that the transition is not smooth but it hangs shortly before changing the card.
Here it where it gets interesting though:
1. If I load the page in portrait mode the performance is very good... no jerkiness, no hangs before cardswitch etc. When I flip the app now into Landscape (no listeneres currently on onOrientationChange) it the jerkiness starts. Flip back to Portrait and everything is fast again
2. If I load the page starting in Landscape mode the jerkiness and hangs between the transition are there (like in point 1) BUT if I switch into Portrait mode the hangs between card transitions persit even though when I start the application Portrait it runs perfectly. Hmm...
Also, the orientation change from Portrait to Landscape is quite slow (takes always between 2-3 seconds) and doesn't resize all child elements properly from time to time; this behaviour is somewhat irratic.
Interestingly the transition between cards is always smooth going to the right from the 12 to the 13th slide (end to the right) and going then back to the left from the 2nd to the 1st slide which is kind of strange. Please that I tested this with both larger images (around 200KB/image), smaller images (around 80KB/image) and no images at all.
I can reproduce these issues in both the Mobile Safari or compiled with Phonegap.
So to summarize my questions:
1. Does anybody here has a pointer in how to improve the performance of the carousel in Landscape mode?
2. An explanation why there is a difference in performance when it is loaded first in Portrait or Landscape
3. Why transitions between the first and last slides are smooth no matter if I use pictures (small or big) or no pictures at all
4. Is there a best practice check/workaround to force the elements to properly resize on Orientationchange (maybe setting the width/height manually with 100%)?
I know that Sencha Touch 2 is much better in speed and layouting but being a Pre-Release and not feature complete I would like to avoid using it if thats possible.
Hope somebody can help me!!