Thread: Sencha without Models/Stores

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Question Unanswered: Sencha without Models/Stores

I'm new to Sencha (and web development in general).
    I'm researching writing port of our current iOS/Android application using the Sencha Touch framework, but I'm concerned about how Sencha handles data (through the use of Models and Stores).

The Web Services I will be writing against are (unfortunately) written in SOAP. The javascript bindings and parsers are generated for me automatically. So, using generated code is preferable to re-writing the objects using the Model/Store setup that Sencha uses.

My worry is that I will make Sencha harder to use in the long run by doing this.

Any thoughts on how will this impact my ability to:

1) Use UI components like Lists (which seem to work in tandem with Models and Stores)
    2) Persist objects using Sencha
    3) Leverage Sencha to maximum potential (will not using Models/Stores hurt me in the long run?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Palo Alto, CA
    Vote Rating

I think you can have the best of both worlds. How you get your data, and how components consume the data are separated into two different concepts - Proxies and Stores

Sencha's data package doesn't lock you into any particular paradigm. We do ship with an array of proxies:!/...ata.proxy.Ajax!/...ta.proxy.JsonP!/...y.LocalStorage!/...a.proxy.Memory!/...ata.proxy.Rest!/...SessionStorage

But you can create your own. Luc Stakenborg created a couple to integrate with SharePoint services that leverage SOAP.

I hope this helps.