Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't work in Safari

Sencha User

Default Doesn't work in Safari

Am brand new to this and just trying to simply load the "getting-started.html" sencha touch page to begin. it doesn't work at all in Safari on Mac. it does work in Firefox.

This leads me to the obvious question, before I go down the road of learning a new language/process etc, if the simple getting-started pages don't work in Safari, does any of the content created with Sencha work in Safari? And if not, it obviously won't work on an iPad.

It won't work in Safari locally or running off of an internet-based server. Safari version 5.0.3.
    Works fine in Firefox.

I guess I feel like it's a terrible sign that the instructions themselves don't work in the very browser intended for the product's final content. I want to use the product to recreate some interactive flash pieces in a format (html5) that will be viewable in an ipad browser - Safari.

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers

Sencha Touch is only support in WebKit browsers (Firefox not being one of them). Everything I have made works in Safari with no issues and without code or an understanding of what you are doing it is hard to debug over the internet.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Frontend Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Answers

Moved to Sencha Touch 2 Q&A forum.

Check out my GitHub:

Answers

http://docs.sencha.com/touch/2-0/#!/...etting_started
    works for me in safari. it needs the flash plugin to demo the videos.

st 1 & 2 are webkit based at the moment, so it will run in chrome, safari and the webViews you will use with native packaging.

if you want to use the docs locally, make sure to have a webserver like xampp running.
    Best regards
    Tobias Uhlig

Sencha User

Yeah, that's bizarre. It actually does work in my Firefox and not at all in Safari.

Literally all I'm trying to do is look at the initial getting-started.html page and continually it doesn't work. When loaded locally, it quickly ends up on a sencha logo and gears and then sits there. when loaded off the internet it does a loading thing in the upper left for a while and then goes to the gears and that's it.

Computer is running OSX 10.6.6 and Safari 5.0.3. Doesn't work at all.

Firefox works perfectly however.

But the point of this for me is to have html5 pages that work in Safari on iPad and if I can't count on them working in all versions of Safari than it's a bit of a deal breaker. And all I"m trying to look at is the getting started instructions.

So when I pull Activity Window in Safari, here's what I get: when loading locally, the error (in the activity window only, not in the browser window) is that file://use.typekit.com etc can't be found. When I try loading over internet, it shows no visible errors in either the Activity Window or the browser window. Just the Sencha Docs gears spinning endlessly.

Sencha User

By the way, computer is a Mac 2x 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Tower with 6GB RAM.

Answers

What happens when you run the getting_started example in Safari from the examples directory?

This is what I get:

Screen Shot 2012-04-03 at 11.30.02 AM.jpg

Check out my GitHub:

Sencha User

I get the same thing that you show in your image. So that works, but it's not the same as the getting-started.html page in the top level touch directory. It just shows a couple of stories from the blog and then has a contact form. I need the actual information from the getting started page in order to, well, get started.

So I am experimenting with the actual getting started page (viewing it in Firefox as previously explained). I went through and executed the Hello World example and tried loading it in Safari. Got nothing.

When looking at the Activity Window, it shows that the sense-touch-all-debug.js cannot be found. When I look in the correct folder touch/builds it is not there. The instructions/samples on the page indicate that as something that needs to be called from the index.html page. So why isn't it included in the files that come with Touch 2.0?

This is the Sencha Touch 2.0 that I downloaded from your site yesterday. Is that an important file and should it be in there?? And could that be the cause of the problems in Safari?

Sencha User

I didn't mention that I do have all the files indicated in the example all in place and coded correctly, and am loading the hello world sample that was made in safari over the web - from internet server where all files are placed exactly as indicated they should be on that getting-started.html page.

Seems like all this might be caused by that one file missing from the Touch files.

Sencha User

ok, I've done some more exploring and it looks like you've moved that file to a new location. In the directory I downloaded from you, the sencha-touch-all-debug.js is not in the build folder, in is in the top level touch directory instead. when I change the code in the index.html for the hello world example, to find it there instead, the hello world example now works. And it works in safari.

None of that really explains why the getting-started.html file works in firefox and not in Safari. I guess I can keep pushing forward using firefox for the tutorials and safari to test the actual results?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast