Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Example FormPanel using JSON to load and submit with Coldfusion or PHP

Katoomba, Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, Australia
    Vote Rating

Default Example FormPanel using JSON to load and submit with Coldfusion or PHP

Hi,

One of the most common actions in web/database work is to load a specific record into a form, allow the user to edit it and then save the changes back to the server. There wasnt an Ext 2.0 example of this so I have written one.

This is an example FormPanel that uses JSON to load and submit records from/to the server. I have provided both Coldfusion and PHP server-side scripts.

The example is built on the XML example provided as part of the Ext package.

There is a simple version that does pretty much what the XML version does.

The more complex example adds a few fields, has a bit more client side validation and (more importantly) is as robust as I can make it regarding error handling for the load and submit. There is a big comment in the json-form.js file about this.

The more complex example also allows you to specify a record ID to load to simulate how your code might load a specific record from a database for editing. The server-side scripts dont actually use a database - there are 2 hard coded records (recordID 1 and 2). Any other recordID will return a "Record not found" message.

Thanks to tryanDLS and hendricd for their help in getting ths example working.

If anyone wants to do some server-side scripts for other environments (asp?) please send them to me and I will add them to the package.

If anyone has any suggestion please let me know via this forum. I am fairly new to Ext so there might be better ways to do what I have done.

To install the example, unzip the attached file and read the readme.txt file.

[EDIT December 28th, 2008] Updated the example file to work with Ext 2.2 and fixed a couple of other minor things. See post #24 for more details
    [EDIT January 19th, 2009] Added the missing README.TXT file
    [EDIT January 28th, 2009] Added ASP samples - thanks to user mikepeat

[EDIT January 3rd, 2011] This is now a long way out of date. ExtJS architecture has changed a lot and this post is probably irrelevant now.
    Cheers,
    Murray
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ext User
    Vote Rating

good work

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Default Working database live connection (ColdFusion Version)

If any of you are like I was I needed to go a few steps further than the very fine post and example above. I can put data into the database just fine by doing a traditional form submit via EXTjs, but to load the form from a live database took some doing.

I picked through the forum posts and found enough pieces to finally ask the right question.

Below is the json-form-getjson.cfm I modified to connect to our oracle database. I hope it is enough for you to figure out how to connect to your style of DBMS.
    Code:
    <cfsetting showdebugoutput="no"> <!--- To supress any debugging code that will upset the json return --->

<!---<cfinclude template="json.cfc" />---> <!---cfJSON file--->

<cfinclude template= "../cflibJSON/cflibJSON.cfm"> <!---jsonencode/jsondecode/isJSON from cflib.org--->
    <cfquery datasource="contacts" name="getContacts">
      SELECT id
           , first
           , last
           , company
           , email
           , state
           , dob
        FROM contact_info 
        where id = #url.recordID#
    </cfquery> 

<cfscript>
    	thestruct = StructNew(); 
    	thestruct['success'] = StructNew(); 
    	thestruct['success'] = true; 
    	thestruct['data'] = StructNew();
    	thestruct['data']['recordid'] = getContacts.id;
    	thestruct['data']['first'] = getContacts.first;
    	thestruct['data']['last'] = getContacts.last;
    	thestruct['data']['company'] = Replace(getContacts.company, chr(13) & chr(10), ' ','ALL');
    	thestruct['data']['email'] = Replace(getContacts.email, chr(13) & chr(10), ' ','ALL');
    	thestruct['data']['state'] = getContacts.state;
    	thestruct['data']['dob'] = dateFormat(getContacts.dob, "mm/dd/yyyy");
    </cfscript>
    <cfinvoke component="JSON" method="encode" data="#thestruct#" returnvariable="result" />

<!---<cfset result1 = "{data:{recordid:'1', first:'Jack', last:'Slocum', company:'Ext JS', email:'support@extjs.com', state:'OH', dob:'04/15/2007', fee:'50'}, success: true }">--->
    <CFCONTENT
    TYPE="text/plain"
    RESET="Yes"><cfoutput>#jsonencode(thestruct)#</cfoutput>
    <!---<cfoutput>#jsonencode(thestruct)#</cfoutput>--->
    <!---<cfoutput>#result#</cfoutput>--->
    <!---<cfoutput>#result1#</cfoutput>--->
    You will notice there is a hard-coded string in place for testing purposes. I used two different JSON encoders during my trials to see if they had any different output, when I was trying to get it to work, so I left them in so you can use the one you want to.

The Key to this thing working is the layout of the struct . I used the thread at: http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3458
    as my starting point to get this to work. The thread is talking about a grid but hay it's input from a database isn't it?

The grid needed an array of data elements and this form only needs one row from the database at a time. My main problem was not understanding the struct well enough to layout the struct so the output looked like the hard-coded JSON from the first post of this thread. Thanks to Core Developer Aaron Conran I was able to make a working example.

Below is the sql for the table I created to help you with putting your own version of this example together

Code:
    create table CONTACT_INFO
    (
      ID      NUMBER(1),
      FIRST   VARCHAR2(20),
      LAST    VARCHAR2(20),
      COMPANY VARCHAR2(50),
      EMAIL   VARCHAR2(50),
      STATE   VARCHAR2(3),
      DOB     DATE
    );

insert into CONTACT_INFO (ID, FIRST, LAST, COMPANY, EMAIL, STATE, DOB)
    values (1, 'Jack1', 'Sloc1um', 'Ext JS', 'support@extjs.com', 'OH', to_date('20-09-2006', 'dd-mm-yyyy'));
    insert into CONTACT_INFO (ID, FIRST, LAST, COMPANY, EMAIL, STATE, DOB)
    values (2, 'Murray', 'Hopkins', 'Murrah', 'murray@murrah.com.au', 'NSW', to_date('26-04-2002', 'dd-mm-yyyy'));
    commit;
    Last edited by kstevens; 13 Dec 2007 at 6:36 AM. Reason: changed decode to encode

Vote Rating

Thanks for that.

Prompted by your reply I have started a new post around using Coldfusion to get Ext formatted json so we dont bury that vital info in this post.

See: http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20790
    for another way to use CF and Ext.

Cheers,
    Murray

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Default Thanks Murray

This is what i want.

Thanks

Vote Rating

Glad it was useful.

Cheers,
    Murray

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Very useful!!!

Thank's

Stefano

Vote Rating

Thanks Stephano.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Thumbs up

Nice tutorial, thanks for it.
    Is there a way to process the loaded data (I understand that the form has its own reader so I guess it has its own store?) as soon as this is reloaded?
    Something like....fs.store.on('load', function(){...} ?
    Using another words, how can I get access to the loaded data directy, before the form fields are populated?
    Thanks

Vote Rating

Thanks for the thanks.

I havent tried to do what you are asking and I imagine it could work but obviously will depend on what you want to do in between loading and rendering.

What are you trying to acheive?

I am also using the code at this post and found it really useful: http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?p=102679

Sorry I cant be more specific.

Murray

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast