Thread: Hello ExtJS community! I have a question for everyone; new and veteran

Default Hello ExtJS community! I have a question for everyone; new and veteran

Hey everyone!

I've been developing ExtJS for a while now in an enterprise setting. I feel like I've learned a lot of the ins and outs of ExtJS and I want to give back!

I'm starting an ExtJS screencast series. It's going to cover everything from the absolute basics to the more advanced techniques, tips, and tricks.

I would like to hear from the community about what topics they would like to see covered! Please any suggestions, from the most basic to the most crazy!

I am in no way affiliated with Sencha Inc, or the ExtJS team. I just thought it would be cool to give back to the community that's helped me through some really hair pulling stuff.

Great idea Brandon.

Maybe a trawl through the help threads would indicate good starting points for tutorials.

Layouts are a constant source of confusion. Function scope too.

And the data package is fundamental to almost everything, so some basics about that would be good.

On a related note, if you feel like giving something back to the community it would be great to have more people answering questions in the Q&A forums. I know Mitch and Scott jump on most threads but they have very little time so I'm sure a bit more help would be appreciated. You'll get plenty of ideas for ExtJS tutorials, some questions come up time and again.

Speaking from personal experience, helping other people on the forums is also a great way to learn more about the framework. It pushed me into parts of the library I wouldn't have dreamt of looking at myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Great idea Brandon.

Maybe a trawl through the help threads would indicate good starting points for tutorials.

Layouts are a constant source of confusion. Function scope too.

And the data package is fundamental to almost everything, so some basics about that would be good.
    Thanks Animal! I'm definitely going to run through the data package in my basics screencasts. Do you think it would be advantageous to avoid MVC in the screencasts covering the basics? I don't want to confuse beginners by adding the extra layer of abstraction.

I figured I could just do it in one file plus onReady() so it's easier for them to follow along, at least until I release the MVC screencasts.

Quote Originally Posted by brandoncordell View Post
    Do you think it would be advantageous to avoid MVC in the screencasts covering the basics?
    I'd avoid mentioning the MVC in any guide to the basics. Until you have a good grasp of the data package, components, events and component queries the MVC is just too much to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by skirtle View Post
    I'd avoid mentioning the MVC in any guide to the basics. Until you have a good grasp of the data package, components, events and component queries the MVC is just too much to handle.
    Thanks Skirtle, that's what I thought, I just wanted to get someone else's opinion on it. My goal is to make the screencasts accessible to anyone.

ComponentQuery, ComponentQuery, ComponentQuery !

The 'stepping stone' to the understanding of MVC plumbing!
    "be dom-ready..."
    Doug Hendricks

Maintaining ux: ManagedIFrame, MIF2 (FAQ, Wiki), ux.Media/Flash, AudioEvents, ux.Chart[Fusion,OFC,amChart], ext-basex.js/$JIT, Documentation Site.

Got Sencha licensing questions? Find out more here.

Quote Originally Posted by hendricd View Post
    ComponentQuery, ComponentQuery, ComponentQuery !

The 'stepping stone' to the understanding of MVC plumbing!
    Fantastic idea! Thank you. Any advice on how to approach ComponentQuery for beginners? For example, anything you eventually learned (maybe a "lightbulb moment" for you), that you wish had explained from the start?

Quote Originally Posted by brandoncordell View Post
    Fantastic idea! Thank you. Any advice on how to approach ComponentQuery for beginners? For example, anything you eventually learned (maybe a "lightbulb moment" for you), that you wish had explained from the start?
    When they've mastered CSS selector precedence, it should become natural.
    "be dom-ready..."
    Doug Hendricks

Maintaining ux: ManagedIFrame, MIF2 (FAQ, Wiki), ux.Media/Flash, AudioEvents, ux.Chart[Fusion,OFC,amChart], ext-basex.js/$JIT, Documentation Site.

Bah, you deserve a better response than that

If you're planning screencasts, you might consider exercises that involve using existing heavier /examples (Theme Viewer comes to mind). Open the console, and ask the framework (CompQuery):

• how many buttons are on the page? Then, hide them all!
    • find all the GridPanels and reload all their stores!
    • build JUST a Controller that logs every time a Field gets focus.

KISS for Part one, but have fun with it!

Then on to more advanced use cases in Part Two.

We tend to learn what we can see. Simple screencasts might offer a good approach!
    "be dom-ready..."
    Doug Hendricks