Thread: Paging doesn't work

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Default Answered: Paging doesn't work

Hi there,

I followed the PagingGridExample.java from the explorer demo. The code is exactly the same, except that I am using my own DataItem instead of Post. As well, instead of being its own class, I just have a method "createTable()" that runs the code found inside PagingGridExample.java asWidget() . I'm having a few problems with it though.

The grid loads, however paging doesn't work. I set:

Code:
    final PagingToolBar pagingToolBar = new PagingToolBar(10);
    However, even though the toolbar shows and shows the text: "Displaying 11 - 20 of 28", etc, the grid shows all 28 rows. When I click the buttons in the paging toolbar, the grid refreshes, but still shows all 28 rows on each page.

Also, the paging tool bar is unusually thick. I have to change the parameters of the VerticalLayoutData in order for it to show:

Code:
    VerticalLayoutContainer con = new VerticalLayoutContainer();
            con.setBorders(true);
            con.add(grid, new VerticalLayoutData(1, 0.80));
            con.add(pagingToolBar, new VerticalLayoutData(1, 0.20));
    The overall layout is a DockLayoutPanel with a gxt TabPanel in the center. The grid is placed on a tab within a gwt VerticalPanel. All the other code is the same as in the example, except as noted above.

I have attached a screenshot. Would appreciate any help!

Screenshot_grid.jpg

2. Let's break this down into the two issues you mention: 1) pagination, and 2) layout.

Pagination:

I suspect you are loading all 28 items in to your list store. I've only used remote loaded grids and I believe that the grid will not magically paginate, but rather will, assuming you are using a proxy, send the PagingLoadConfig (or FilterPagingLoadConfig) to the server and the onus is on your servlet and/or business logic to read the limit and offset and only send those items back, along with a total count.

Layout:

You are telling the paging tool bar to take up 20% of the container and it likely doesn't need that much. Try using a 1, -1 for your paging tool bar and change your grid to a 1, 1. This will tell the outer container to use the actual height of the paging tool bar and tell the grid to use the rest.

Alternatively, you could use a FlowLayoutContainer, but you will need to ensure that the added items have size and position because FlowLayoutContainer (along with CssFloatLayoutContainer) do not size or position its children.

Answers
    Vote Rating

Let's break this down into the two issues you mention: 1) pagination, and 2) layout.

Pagination:

I suspect you are loading all 28 items in to your list store. I've only used remote loaded grids and I believe that the grid will not magically paginate, but rather will, assuming you are using a proxy, send the PagingLoadConfig (or FilterPagingLoadConfig) to the server and the onus is on your servlet and/or business logic to read the limit and offset and only send those items back, along with a total count.

Layout:

You are telling the paging tool bar to take up 20% of the container and it likely doesn't need that much. Try using a 1, -1 for your paging tool bar and change your grid to a 1, 1. This will tell the outer container to use the actual height of the paging tool bar and tell the grid to use the rest.

Alternatively, you could use a FlowLayoutContainer, but you will need to ensure that the added items have size and position because FlowLayoutContainer (along with CssFloatLayoutContainer) do not size or position its children.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

That worked perfectly! I didn't realize that I had to give the list store the size of chunks that I wanted. For the other issue, I had changed it originally to 80% and 20% because I couldn't see it otherwise. But after fixing the paging issue, I changed it back to the values you suggested and the table shows perfectly.

Thanks!

Answers
    Vote Rating

you're welcome and glad to help.