Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What are some viable Ext alternatives/competitors?

Ext JS Premium Member

Do you know if the rewrite includes any update to the Dojo component layer, i.e. Dijit?
    Unfortunately only the Dojo, but not DIJT will be rewritten - at least how i got it from the information available.

Sencha Premium User jvandemerwe's Avatar

Is it really neccessary to talk about if Dojo is alive or not on this forum. Maybe you should checkout the Dojo website if it is still alive or not. I see that the work on version 2 has begun, but I am really much more interested in the live date for Ext JS 6, that is why I am on this forum, because I doing Sencha stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by _alex View Post
    Unfortunately only the Dojo, but not DIJT will be rewritten - at least how i got it from the information available.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by _alex View Post
    Dijits doesn't appear to be their highest priority (which is understandable if the core is being rewritten):

Widgets are a big part of Dojo 1.x but a lot has changed since we unveiled dijit. Between dijit, richer native widgets, web components and other UI focused toolkits there are a lot of decisions to make about how Dojo 2 will handle widgets. Our initial focus is on defining a solid core for Dojo 2. During development of Dojo 2 we will start defining the vision for widgets.

I just hope I can start using it by the end of this year so that it's viable by the time my Sencha Complete license expires in July 2016.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by jvandemerwe View Post
    Is it really neccessary to talk about if Dojo is alive or not on this forum. Maybe you should checkout the Dojo website if it is still alive or not. I see that the work on version 2 has begun, but I am really much more interested in the live date for Ext JS 6, that is why I am on this forum, because I doing Sencha stuff.
    A thread titled "What are some viable Ext alternatives/competitors?" is probably the wrong place to look for information about a release date for Ext JS 6.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by marc.fearby View Post
    I just hope I can start using it by the end of this year so that it's viable by the time my Sencha Complete license expires in July 2016.
    There is simply no way that in 6 months someone can create some UIs that could compete with Ext JS.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by iamright View Post
    There is simply no way that in 6 months someone can create some UIs that could compete with Ext JS.
    True. But dijit functionality already is about 90% of what I use when compared to Ext JS (and its accessibility is an example to all). Given the improvements in HTML 5 in recent years one would hope that any new dijits would be easier to create and maintain, meaning it might not take as long as it once did. I'm probably wishful thinking here, but a man can dream :-) Its BSD license counts for a lot, too.

Quote Originally Posted by marc.fearby View Post
    True. But dijit functionality already is about 90% of what I use when compared to Ext JS (and its accessibility is an example to all).
    Do you use trees or tree panels? They are not very well done in Dojo the last time I checked.

Ext JS Premium Member

Personally, i came to the point that currently no alternative/competitor even comes close to what Sencha offers. I read a lot of features, looked at the Demos, browsed the Sources (where available), scanned Documentation, Roadmaps etc. - there is always at least one major drawback, be it the Widgets, the data-package - whatever.

I need a library that keeps me going in my daily work at speed and convenience and where i have the confidence that a specific thing can be done with reasonable effort at all.

So, i decided to stop evaluation, upgrade within this month and go back to normal operation with ExtJS. I`ve simply spent too much time since October just to see there is no real option right now.

Alex

Sencha User

I would like to know if someone has experience with kendo ui + angular, I was playing with the demo http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/autocomplete/angular and look good, and the price per developer is 699.00 so any feedback about this framework is welcome

Regards frank

Quote Originally Posted by franklt69 View Post
    I would like to know if someone has experience with kendo ui + angular, I was playing with the demo http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/autocomplete/angular and look good, and the price per developer is 699.00 so any feedback about this framework is welcome
    I'd highly recommend that you steer clear of AngularJS at least Angular 2 is released later this year.

The reason is simple: Angular 2 is not backward compatible with the current release and as of this time there's no clear migration path.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast