Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What are some viable Ext alternatives/competitors?

Sencha User

Ok thanks for your advice AjaxSolutions, but really I am thinking in developer an application and I have to maintenance it from 1 to 2 year, then I will see how is the market in the front end.

I think kendou ui + angular could be enough, and I can afford 699, vs 4k. I love Extjs but like other people, I can't afford this astronomical price, I think that Sencha is thinking like Apple where the people want to pay 800 for an iphone 6+, but really Extjs isn't an Iphone or an ipad, I mean isn't a super exclusive product that have million of people around the word following Sencha, they have your business and think the 1 developer is not important in your business today, this is to my a bad decision, but I have to respect the Marketing/CEO guru in Sencha, only I remember when extjs born with Jack Slocum, how the single developers was collaborating every day in an vibrant community, It is sad to see how Sencha lost its essence/origin.

regards
    Frank

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by franklt69 View Post
    I would like to know if someone has experience with kendo ui + angular, I was playing with the demo http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/autocomplete/angular and look good, and the price per developer is 699.00 so any feedback about this framework is welcome

Regards frank
    We are preping for a total rewrite of a fairly large ExtJs 4 app, in using 3 libraries.
    1. ExtJS 5/6 (Team of 1)
    2. Kendo UI (Team of 3)
    3. Webix, Backbone, and Aurelia (Team of 4)

we flushed out React as we dont want to be in the business of creating widgets

Our Needs
    1. Targeting evergreen browsers
    2. Use ES6 features (we believe most of the latest open source solution are gonna be using ES6 )
    3. Should be easy to comprehend codebase
    4. Easily integrate some open source solution
    5. Huge (in-memory)grids and trees are everywhere in our app
    6. We have a very customized style/theme for our app, which we dont wanna change, the app must look same in the new version

the 3rd team has done abt 15% of coding and they are the slowest one and we anticipated that, coz Aurelia is in beta and changing very often, but our experience on using Webix as a widget library is very pleasent (better than kendo)

However the openion changes everyday we discover something and then we say we framework X is better than Y

Kendo Team completed abt 30% of their code, Kendo and Webix both are good widget library, but overall we all are preferring Webix so far, but thats only after completing 15% of our app, we have very complex widget comming ahead so lets see how it goes

you can refer to my previous post on Webix https://www.sencha.com/forum/showthr...=1#post1101663

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrinsan View Post
    1. ExtJS 5/6 (Team of 1)
    2. Kendo UI (Team of 3)
    3. Webix, Backbone, and Aurelia (Team of 4)

the 3rd team has done abt 15%...

Kendo Team completed abt 30% ...
    And the team #1?
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by ssamayoa View Post
    And the team #1?
    Option 2 and Option 3 is more of a POC
    Option 1 with ExtJS is our real cadidate for re-implementation for now.

The plan is to cover some grounds using different options out there and then once we are comfortable with our findings we select the best mix that supports our case, develop another solution in parallel to ExtJS and replace it.

I cant comment on how far have we done with ExtJS coz, we are reusing and refactoring lot of code

Our reason for moving away from ExtJs isnt Licencing, we strogly believe that more and more JavaScript solutions will start using ES6 features and it will become more difficult for us to intigrate with them.
    Even for ExtJS we believe that there will be a breaking change comming soon as ES6 have added many language specific enhancements and for any framework to embrace it, they will have to introduce breaking changes, and this is in preperation to that anticipation

so by the end of 2016 we will see how ExtJS have made progress in ES6 direction and decide on the best solution at that time

if you wanna know whats our ask from the future versions of ExtJS i have posted it in the forum here https://www.sencha.com/forum/showthr...=1#post1096852

Sencha Premium Member

Hi mrinsan,

you mentioned in your previous post, that you guys could easily integrade open source products into your webix project.

Some that we could easily intigrate was
    - An open-sourced routing
    - Backbone for data adapters (Models and stores)
    - Promises instead of callbacks
    - One of our teamate is working on to create a SASS version of their css, to make it easier for us to play with their widget styles (we plan to open source it, if succesful)
    Could you tell us, what:
    - Open Source Routing library
    - Promises library

you guys have chosen?

Regards,

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by anton.stepan View Post
    Hi mrinsan,

you mentioned in your previous post, that you guys could easily integrade open source products into your webix project.

Could you tell us, what:
    - Open Source Routing library
    - Promises library

you guys have chosen?

Regards,
    Let me guess the answer for you... Backbone for routing and jQuery for promisses.

I'd be interested to know how they manage dependencies since this usually a problem on larger apps.

Also, I'm curious how well the Webix and Kendo UI tree and grid components are scalable/programmable in comparison to Ext JS where I think they are pretty well done.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Let me guess the answer for you... Backbone for routing and jQuery for promisses.
    jQuery seems to be not the best choice for promises.
    It does not fully support Promises/A+ spec (http://abdulapopoola.com/2014/12/12/...romisesa-spec/)
    And jQuery is very slow (http://jsperf.com/jquery-deferred-vs-bluebird).

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post

I'd be interested to know how they manage dependencies since this usually a problem on larger apps.

Also, I'm curious how well the Webix and Kendo UI tree and grid components are scalable/programmable in comparison to Ext JS where I think they are pretty well done.
    Router - Aurelia, Backbone (primarily backbone, but we are experimenting with Aurelia features too)
    Promises - Lie https://github.com/calvinmetcalf/lie
    Dependency management : Using System-JS

We were also able to include promises(lie) in ExtJs app, as all our ajax requests are managed centrally in a single class, even our stores request the data from this class, so we didnt have an issue there, just a lot of refactoring.
    The class just returns a promise instead of executing a callback (can share a snippet if you want)

regarding the dependencies, we are carefull in choosing only those libraries which have good track record of stability and cosistent API
    Backbone and jQuery both are good libraries

Webix and Aurelia are new to the game, but then we dont have many choice in these departments

Webix, Kendo and ExtJS are our 3 best options for widget libs
    Aurelia for ES6 features

We dont do as much research in choosing a pollyfill as we did to select libraries, coz ultimately they will be replaced by native browser methods by 2017

Webix vs Sencha grids, we think sencha grids contain more fetaures than Webix but that is also a reason for us to look for another solution,

you may read the following post as why we are looking for other solutions
    https://www.sencha.com/forum/showthr...=1#post1089583

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

btw, for promises, Ext JS 6 will have promise support. Something like this:

Code:
    Ext.Ajax.request({
        url: 'some/url',
    }).then(function (response) {
        // use response
    });
    or

Code:
        new Ext.Promise(function (resolve, reject) {
            Ext.Ajax({
                url: url,
                success: function (response) {
                    // Use the provided "resolve" method to deliver the result.
                    //
                    resolve(response);
                },
                failure: function (response) {
                    // Use the provided "reject" method to deliver the error
                    //
                    reject(response);
                }
            });
        });
    or

Code:
        var deferred = Ext.deferred();

Ext.Ajax({
            url: url,
            success: function (response) {
                // Use the provided "resolve" method to deliver the result.
                //
                deferred.resolve(response);
            },
            failure: function (response) {
                // Use the provided "reject" method to deliver the error
                //
                deferred.reject(response);
            }
        });

return deferred.getPromise();
    these were taken from the what's new guide for the 6.0.0 GA release coming soon. Thanks to the DeftJS team!
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Posts are my own, not any current, past or future employer's.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    btw, for promises, Ext JS 6 will have promise support. Something like this:

Code:
    Ext.Ajax.request({
        url: 'some/url',
    }).then(function (response) {
        // use response
    });
    Is this going to break backward compatibility since Ext.Ajax.request already has a return value?

Returns
    • ObjectThe request object. This may be used to cancel the request.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast