21 Sep 2012 12:24 AM #1
Better Android support === better browser support
Are there any plans to make Sencha Touch support for more browsers than just Webkit-based browsers?
I know there is already a topic which confirmes that it's not in scope right now (http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?236995). But I think it is important and here's why:
- Android users have the freedom to install any browser they want, and they use it.
- Jelly Bean comes with Chrome, I installed the beta on my ICS device and there are some bugs (which I still need to report when I have tested thoroughly)
- Developers like to use their own tools in their own browser, why not give them this power?
- It gives an oppertunity to use the Touch variant on desktop browsers and tablets
- Smart-devices won't be limited to phones in the near future, targeting 'just' touch-devices will become too limited. Therefor I think if Sencha Touch wants to keep momentum it has to embrace this future in time.
Don't get me wrong, Sencha Touch is a great product and I use it very often in my day to day work. But I want to start this discussion to improve even more and get ready for the future, to see the different views and opinions on this subject.Allround web developer, conference organiser and speaker.