Thread: Reading an array property from a store record

Sencha User

Default Reading an array property from a store record

Hi:

I have a datagrid, FathersDataGrid that displays JSON records, in which a record's schema is:

firstName - string
    lastName - string
    dob - data
    children - array [{firstName, lastName, dob}]

I load all the records using store, FathersStore, that is bound to a model, FatherModel, with a REST Proxy.

I display firstName, lastName, dob into the FathersDataGrid. When I select a row in FathersDataGrid, I want to load another datagrid that shows rows of a particular father's children. When I select a row on FathersDataGrid I want to program the event handler to use the data that is in FathersStore, with no server rountrip. And, when I add a child to a father, I want to update the the data server using FatherModel.save().

Here is my question: is it possible to display the children from the FathersStore/FatherModel into the second datagrid, without a server callback, and add a child to the FatherStore using the REST Proxy attached to FatherModel?

In other words, I want NO server callback when reading from a father record to display children. Yet, I want to callback to the server when adding a child to the father record. (I figure I can just call FatherStore.load() to refresh the FathersDataGrid.)

I hope I did a good job of explaining my problem. If clarification is required, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    Bob

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers

Sure, you can create the grid and create a store for it providing the data from the children field. If you add a record to the new store you would need to also add to the record from the main store.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Posts are my own, not any current, past or future employer's.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Answers

You want to create two models:
    1. Father
    2. Child
    In your Father model add a HasMany association with child. I.E. Father has many child.
    Code:
    hasMany:{model:'Child', name:'chidren'}
    [Optional: In your Child add a BelongsTo association with Father.]

This will assume your JSON data for the father call looks something like:

Code:
    [{
      name: 'Fred',
      spouse: 'Wilma',
      children: [{
        name: 'Pebbles'
      }]
    }]
    When you click on a Father in the Fathers grid you will do a bind store on the Childrens grid using record.children (). For Example:

Code:
    onItemClick: function (grid, record, item) {
     this.childrenGrid.bindStore (record.children ());
    }
    When you add or edit a child, do it in the "children ()" store of the father record. Saving the father record or synching the father store will then send your changes back to the server.