Thread: How to integrate outside non-app site with extjs for inside logged in site?

Sencha User

Default How to integrate outside non-app site with extjs for inside logged in site?

Hi all,

Horrible description, I apologize. I am learning ext-js, and loving it what little I know. I however have come to the conclusion, possibly a wrong/bad one, that ext-js is fantastic for rapid application development with the web, but not necessarily the right choice for the "outside" static web site. By this I mean, if you go to a typical site, they show some content, about us, company info, investors, etc, maybe some fancy videos, graphics and all that. They also will typically have a login and a signup form. Once you sign up or log in, the main application is available, which may include a web cart, charting, forms, data, search, etc.

So, I am trying to wrap my head around how best to structure my web project such that either I use ext-js for the entire site (ideally if possible and makes sense), or if I use some old-schol html files for the outside pages and links, and have the login (and/or signup) links then execute a server side logic that causes the web site to then go into the "app" ext-js portion of the site.

Mind you, I am building this in a JEE6 web app (.war) file, and am not a fan of separating it into separate apps. I originally tried to use tomcat and a separate app, but the ajax requests from that to my server side (deployed on a different port) failed due to the cross-domain issues. So bundling the entire app up in one .war file and deploying it seems to work better, easier to develop, and I don't have to work across two projects.

Thank you for all opinions/ridicule.

While I'm not familiar with JEE6 personally I'd think you have some options with the site as it relates to ExtJS's part to play. Like you say, you could have your landing page / pages be just plain HTML and then launch the 'app' after signin and have that be built through ExtJS. Or, if you structure your app just so, there's also no reason the app couldn't have all of the 'About Us' and info pages as a view within the app and once signed in you get the rest of the app in another view.

The ExtJS containers and panels will accept HTML just as if they were traditional web pages so may be used to hold your content in different parts of the app.

Sencha User

I was hoping it would be "ok" to use extjs for the entire site. I say this because.. first of all not being experienced with it yet, I don't know how I would keep the outside site looking like the extjs inside site? I am not that good with html5 and css3, hence why extjs is so attractive to me. Is it out of the norm to use extjs in this manner, such that the entire site, even some static pages of the outside site are using extjs? The ability to use the components, dialogs, menus, layout system, etc appeals to me and I would hope that using extjs for the entire site allows for a seamless look and feel of the site?

Nothing wrong with using it for the whole site/app. You might look at containers which are basically just managed divs that you can drop HTML content into. You may also look at the card layout since it allows for simple swapping of views without using the framework's tabpanel markup (nothing wrong with tabs, but card layout offers some flexibility you might like if your app has lots of 'basic web page' type content).

Sencha User

Thank you. That's what I wanted to hear. I'll look at Cardlayout as well.