Thread: Extjs general understanding

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Default Extjs general understanding

Hi. I am new to Extjs. I was using jQuery for a long time, and now I want to move to extjs. I want to build a new website for personal purpose and want to use extjs on the website.. Can I use free version? It means that I must share my website's source code? I cacnot understand just what is difference between paid and free versions.. Please explain.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

It depends on what your plans are. You may have seen this ExtJS licensing page:
    http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs/license/

If you are looking to use ExtJS for free, check out this page which might explain more:
    http://www.sencha.com/legal/open-source-faq/

As far as sharing code, I'm pretty sure that refers to modifications in the ExtJS code, not your personal website code.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Schlosberg View Post
    As far as sharing code, I'm pretty sure that refers to modifications in the ExtJS code, not your personal website code.
    Sencha's "Open Source FAQ" you linked to says about this:

For example: lets take a mortgage processing software program. Lets say that the application has a front-end (that generates web pages linked to Ext JS JavaScript) that communicates over JSON/HTTP with a backend service. This backend service contains approval and validation logic for this application alone. Even if only the front-end uses Ext JS code, you should consider that the combination of front and back ends constitutes the application, and the source code for both back and front end would need to be provided to the applications end users under GPLv3 if the application is used by an end-user who is not part of the same legal entity that holds the GPLv3 license to the Ext JS code.
    Of course, this FAQ isn't legally binding, but based on that example, I believe the answer to "Must I share my website's source code?" would be "Yes, at least for the parts of the website that use ExtJS."

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I think you are correct. Apologies -- I should have looked more closely at it before commenting. Thank you for correcting my mistake.