Thread: Are Sencha Touch Apps just Web Apps?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Answered: Are Sencha Touch Apps just Web Apps?

Hello,

I'm looking to use the Sencha Touch framework to develop mobile apps, but given the nature of ExtJs, I'm wondering just how "native" the apps that the Touch framework generates are.

Are they simply web apps encased in a web-view that allows them to have their own icon on the homescreen? Or does the Touch Command-Line tool actually generate Objective-C/Java based on the javascript/html/css given to it?

I'm worried that any app I create will potentially be rendered useless by a lack of internet connection if the former is the case.

Thanks in advance for information clarifying this.

Edit: Not meaning to marginalize the efforts of the Sencha Touch team in saying "just" web apps, it's an impressive framework regardless; I'm merely looking to deepen my understanding of the Sencha Touch development process.

2. Touch applications are web apps encased in a webview. Via html5 they are able to access native device api's. Honestly though what app, native or web app, would not be rendered useless without a internet connection as most apps are dependent on accessing some external data source/resource.

Sencha - Support Team
    Answers

Touch applications are web apps encased in a webview. Via html5 they are able to access native device api's. Honestly though what app, native or web app, would not be rendered useless without a internet connection as most apps are dependent on accessing some external data source/resource.
    Get more personalized support via a support subscription.

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services [email protected]

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Need to include a test case use:
    The official Sencha Fiddle

Thanks for the reply,

By "rendered useless", I meant: is the app structured in such a way that it will refuse to load if there's no internet? You're right, the app's intended use would require an internet connection, but I'm wondering if it's also possible to offer offline functionality with Sencha Touch.

Sencha User
    Answers

You should distinguish between normal Sencha Touch apps, and Sencha Touch apps packaged as native apps. Normal Sencha Touch apps are just web apps, which contain HTML/JavaScript that you would load over the Internet. Packaged apps contain the HTML/JS embedded in the app, so it doesn't need to be downloaded. You'd need a network connection for the former, but not the latter.

I had meant the "packaged as native"-type, thanks for the clarification!

Sencha User
    Answers

They just web app which packaged in native app wrapper and displayed by the system browser.