Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    andrew.chicago is on a distinguished road

Default Do I need both Sencha Touch and ExtJS to cover regular and mobile browser usability?

Hello,

I am learning Sencha/ExtJS to remove dependency on Flash in many of our applications. I started with Sencha Touch and built an application which runs well in desktop Chrome and Safari, but seems to break down in desktop IE11.

Then I found that:
    "Sencha Touch requires Chrome or Safari. On a mobile device, you can use Chrome, Safari, or Internet Explorer 10 or 11."

My goal is to ideally have all our applications accessible via both the desktop/laptop and mobile browsers.

Does this mean that for each application I should develop an ExtJS version for mobile environment and a Sencha Touch version for mobile?

Thoughts greatly appreciated!

Vote Rating
    arthurakay is just really nice arthurakay is just really nice arthurakay is just really nice arthurakay is just really nice

Ext JS 5 certainly covers a wider variety of browsers - and considering Ext JS 5 supports tablets, your need for "desktop and mobile" would be mostly solved.

However, Ext JS 5 isn't really optimized for phones... the widget library (trees, grids, etc) are more useful and user-friendly on desktop and tablet devices.

Therefore I would probably suggest you try to migrate your application to Ext JS 5 unless you REALLY need phone support.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    andrew.chicago is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the reply, Arthur!

Thread Participants: 1