Thread: Enterprise Application Development Workflow

Sencha User
    Answers

Default Answered: Enterprise Application Development Workflow

Hello *,

we want to switch from Ext.Net to ExtJS (Server Part is still .Net (WebApi)). The following points should be considered!
    • Common Project for Components which are used from the other projects.
    • For each area a seperate project
    • Seperate build process (sencha cmd)
    • ExtJS Source only on one place
    • What to store in SVN?
    • During Transistion, both technologies must work.
    How can we accomplish this?

2. Quote Originally Posted by mkeuschn View Post
    Hello *,

we want to switch from Ext.Net to ExtJS (Server Part is still .Net (WebApi)). The following points should be considered!
    • What to store in SVN?
    Since you've posted in the Architect forum, I am assuming you want to use Sencha Architect to build your application with the ExtJS framework, correct? With Ext.net I'm assuming you're using an IDE (Visual Studio, perhaps)?

Assuming Sencha Architect is what you'd like to use, I can answer your questions:

- Common Project for Components which are used from the other projects.

Sencha Architect allows you to save components for reuse and import into other projects. Simply right click the component and choose "save to toolbox" or "export to file". Saving to the toolbox allows you to drag that component out into other projects. Export to file allows you to import that component into the toolbox of another copy of Architect (e.g. if you have multiple developers, and thus multiple copies of Architect)

- For each area a seperate project
    - Seperate build process (sencha cmd)
    - ExtJS Source only on one place

You can use Sencha Cmd either via Architect (click the "build" button and choose a platform), or you can still use it via the command line, so you can certainly accomplish that here. As for having the ExtJS source only in one place - you can set your framework path in each project to point to a specific location, so that's something you can do as well.

- What to store in SVN?

We have an article on source control practices for team development in architect here that should help:

http://docs.sencha.com/architect/3/g...team_apps.html

As for transition - without knowing every detail of your project(s), it's hard to anticipate what challenges you might run into, but I don't know of any specific obstacles that would stop you from being able to transition smoothly between technologies!

Quote Originally Posted by mkeuschn View Post
    Hello *,

• What to store in SVN?
    Since you've posted in the Architect forum, I am assuming you want to use Sencha Architect to build your application with the ExtJS framework, correct? With Ext.net I'm assuming you're using an IDE (Visual Studio, perhaps)?

Assuming Sencha Architect is what you'd like to use, I can answer your questions:

- Common Project for Components which are used from the other projects.

Sencha Architect allows you to save components for reuse and import into other projects. Simply right click the component and choose "save to toolbox" or "export to file". Saving to the toolbox allows you to drag that component out into other projects. Export to file allows you to import that component into the toolbox of another copy of Architect (e.g. if you have multiple developers, and thus multiple copies of Architect)

- For each area a seperate project
    - Seperate build process (sencha cmd)
    - ExtJS Source only on one place

You can use Sencha Cmd either via Architect (click the "build" button and choose a platform), or you can still use it via the command line, so you can certainly accomplish that here. As for having the ExtJS source only in one place - you can set your framework path in each project to point to a specific location, so that's something you can do as well.

- What to store in SVN?

We have an article on source control practices for team development in architect here that should help:

http://docs.sencha.com/architect/3/g...team_apps.html

As for transition - without knowing every detail of your project(s), it's hard to anticipate what challenges you might run into, but I don't know of any specific obstacles that would stop you from being able to transition smoothly between technologies!
    Steve Sobel
    @honestbleeps
    Sencha Architect Development Team