Page 37 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Sencha ******** single developers?

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSA View Post
    As many of the current users cannot afford a five-developer pack it may lead to more use of the GPLv3 open source license that is still available so far.

In the end that could be good for the entire community?
    Honestly, given this recent license policy shift, I doubt further versions of Ext will still include a so-called open source license.

What would be a good thing though is a fork of the last GPL version (5.0.1 for which the code is in way better shape that 4.2.1):
    - the community could take greater ownership of the codebase (continue make it evolve, protect itself from any further license change or price increase or whatever new policy Sencha might come up with).
    - there would be a way to submit patches - AND - have access to the bug fix you committed (which is not the case presently: you debug sencha's code because you want your app to work, share the bug fix because you think it might be useful to others - and do not have access to your own bug fix because next releases are only for subscribed users).

My 2 cents,
    C.

Sencha Premium Member

Imho GPL is not an option for the most of us ... So this way seems to be a dead end.

Sorry if you've covered this ground already but has anyone from Sencha offered any explanation for this change in policy? I mean in other forums, social media, conferences etc. somewhere I haven't checked.

If some Senchaite would come out and explain what's going on - I might not like what he/she has to say but at least I could plan for the future.

What I have at the moment is a massive change to licensing that seems to suggest a massive shift in policy but I'm not clairvoyant and there's no way to know what further changes are coming.

Sencha seem to be asking for a massive show of faith from developers without any justification.

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy Deluxe View Post
    Sorry if you've covered this ground already but has anyone from Sencha offered any explanation for this change in policy? I mean in other forums, social media, conferences etc. somewhere I haven't checked.

If some Senchaite would come out and explain what's going on - I might not like what he/she has to say but at least I could plan for the future.

What I have at the moment is a massive change to licensing that seems to suggest a massive shift in policy but I'm not clairvoyant and there's no way to know what further changes are coming.

Sencha seem to be asking for a massive show of faith from developers without any justification.
    Nope, not a single word has been spoken... The community is totally ignored when it comes to this.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy Deluxe View Post
    I may live in a fantasy world, but what about trying to inform investors and board members about what is happening here and drive their attention to serious concerns expressed in this thread.

I know one e-mail will go totally un-noticed, but we are more than 100 in this thread - they might care.
    What do you think ? Any volunteer to draft something on drive so that those interested can comment ? Seade (if you are still reading...)?

Current board members:
    - James J. Goetz, Sequoia Capital: [email protected]
    - Stratton Sclacos, Radar Parner : ??
    - Joseph Horowitz, JAFCO Co., Ltd.: [email protected]

Cheers,
    C.

Sencha Premium Member

Default Same for GXT developers

Hi,

Same thing happened to GXT users. No more choices for renewing a license without support so price went too high.

And the GPL version is not released at the same time the commercial one is, so you have to wait for finally getting long time bugs fixed.

I hope the old days of friendly management return.

Regards,
    Rodolfo
    --
    Rodolfo M. Raya
    http://www.maxprograms.com

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by geek0r View Post
    Nope, not a single word has been spoken... The community is totally ignored when it comes to this.
    The people you're hoping to comment on this probably aren't allowed to. My guess is that what's in the new F.A.Q. is the official public stance on the matter, and that's all anyone can say on the subject.

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by christophe.geiser View Post
    I may live in a fantasy world, but what about trying to inform investors and board members about what is happening here and drive their attention to serious concerns expressed in this thread.
    Investors won't care until and unless it starts affecting profit.

Sencha Premium Member

Qooxdoo is definitely a great option. Check out my blog about transitioning from Ext to Qooxdoo. https://ext2qooxdoo.wordpress.com/

Sencha Premium User

Not trying to discourage you, but it's entirely possible that the investors and board members were the ones who demanded this change in an effort to increase revenue from enterprise customers. They might not be interested in the long term but rather spiking revenue before trying to sell the company. Could be totally wrong, though - if someone wants to try to get through, more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by christophe.geiser View Post

I know one e-mail will go totally un-noticed, but we are more than 100 in this thread - they might care.
    What do you think ? Any volunteer to draft something on drive so that those interested can comment ? Seade (if you are still reading...)?

Current board members:
    - James J. Goetz, Sequoia Capital: [email protected]
    - Stratton Sclacos, Radar Parner : ??
    - Joseph Horowitz, JAFCO Co., Ltd.: [email protected]

Cheers,
    C.

Page 37 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast