Page 46 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Sencha ******** single developers?

Ext JS Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Dual binding is way overblown at least according to the Ember team.

"After a few years of having written Ember applications, we have observed that most of the data bindings in the templating engine do not actually require two-way bindings."
    That is right but they also provide one way binding, one time binding, and etc... Even ExtJS 5 has similar feature.

Ext JS Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by iamright View Post
    It may be easy to create easy components. good luck developing a feature to feature grid that is on par with Ext JS. I wouldn't call that easy. From what I understand, this statement means that it's easy to create a "directive" much like it's easy to use Ext.define to create a class.
    You are right! I have not yet seen such a powerful Grid. This is definitely one area where ExtJS shines. I've used ExtJS for couple of projects and Grid fit perfectly on how we want it to display. However, directive focuses developer creating 'HTML' for a component and make them painfully aware what HTML is being generated. For novice ExtJS programmer... they don't care what HTML is being generated. For example, they unnecessarily use Panel when it could be done with Component instead. But, you're right! It would be gigantic pain in the ass to create ExtJS Grid in AngularJS. You can use other grid that can be bough commercially but it probably won't be as awesome.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    For example, they unnecessarily use Panel when it could be done with Component instead.
    Not entirely true. The grid view extends the dataview to reuse that logic. The grid panel extends panel so that you can dock items, have a title and tools to reuse that logic within the framework. The column headers are components wrapped in a container (the header container) which does seem a bit extraneous but the grid panel extending panel is very much needed. I would agree that it would be great if the grid was developed with just the headers and the rows using only the dataview and you can then opt into wrapping that in a panel if you need to dock a paging toolbar, title and such. That would be pretty cool and save on layout runs if you don't need all that. Course the paging toolbar could just be simple HTML also so the more I think about it the more I like that idea.

Ext JS Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by iamright View Post
    Not entirely true. The grid view extends the dataview to reuse that logic. The grid panel extends panel so that you can dock items, have a title and tools to reuse that logic within the framework. The column headers are components wrapped in a container (the header container) which does seem a bit extraneous but the grid panel extending panel is very much needed. I would agree that it would be great if the grid was developed with just the headers and the rows using only the dataview and you can then opt into wrapping that in a panel if you need to dock a paging toolbar, title and such. That would be pretty cool and save on layout runs if you don't need all that. Course the paging toolbar could just be simple HTML also so the more I think about it the more I like that idea.
    I didn't mean using Grid as an example. Just saying that some of the ExtJS programmer never even looks at what hml is being generated and just use Panel over Component.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    I didn't mean using Grid as an example. Just saying that some of the ExtJS programmer never even looks at what hml is being generated and just use Panel over Component.
    Ah, I see what you're saying. I think they want you to stay within javascript as much as possible and leave the html up to the framework so that's not surprising. Of course you can use Component when you don't need to use one of the pre-existing components. For example, Component can use the tpl and data config (and update method) if you don't need the selection model and stuff that you would get with the dataview.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by glenho View Post
    Hi All,

I'm not sure if this has been posted here already?? However, there maybe a way to getting a single license after all?

Ext.Net is a .Net version of Extjs. Essentially its a wrapper code base so that .Net developers can write server side based code for Extjs. Ext.Net has currently got Ext.Net v3 beta going - this currently uses ExtJs 5.0.1. Ext.Net has a single developer license for $799 but this includes an agreement with Extjs to use Extjs (licensed). Of course your license will be with Ext.Net as will be any support which may mean not getting direct access to nightly builds and you will only get new versions of Extjs when Ext.Net decides to upgrade their codebase.

You may want to check it out further head over to http://www.Ext.Net
    Kind Regards Glen
    This doesn't seem to get one access to the latest code release like Ext JS 4.2.3.
    Just the code that Ext JS already releases to the public. Is that correct?
    http://ext.net/download/#version

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by ssamayoa View Post
    While I will keep developing with ExtJS certainly I will not promote its use.
    It'll be everyone's dirty little secret until we find/move to an alternative. Just tell people you develop in javascript instead.

Sencha Premium Member

I don't know about the rest of you good looking boys and girls, but I have never ever made a penny building a component, (grid, combo box, etc.) which I had to with Flex and some other tools. I do get paid the big buckeronies when I build an order entry / inventory / business application for my customers. I have seen a lot of people praising other competing tools, and again, we can talk about 2 way binding, directives, etc. but until you can convince one of my customers to pay me for that, I want to use the tool that lets me both produce results the fastest AND when my customer asks for major changes in the layout, where I can adapt my code the fastest. Besides all of the "cool" components, for me, Sencha has 2 very compelling features:

1) I don't have to write any html (Its a lot faster to drop a container on a component, set the align to vbox and just start dropping additional components. Yes, tell me how inefficient the generated code is, tell me about the waste of using a panel instead of a component, but that has never been the constraint in the operations of my applications. (bandwidth, database design and access, yes, but so far, never an extra 1/2 dozen tds...

2) I am building very data-centric solutions which need lightning fast (thank you Ext Direct), scaleable, (sometimes tables with over a million rows) and 98.6% (wait, thats my core temperature, never mind) of them are the same CRUD programs, (sometimes without the D, sometimes without the U), but I need to edit a lot of data, and Sencha' MVSC (yes, they don't always say the S, but thats what makes like so easy for me, the fact, I can do most anything with a store. Need to filter, no problem, need to pass parameters to do conditional data access, no problem. with them being global, when one component needs to access, check if records are in another component, no problem. These 2 features save me a heck of a lot more time than 2 way binding (yea, guess if it was implemented better, I could save 4-6 lines of coding...)

Bruce

Yes, we all know that the business team @ Sencha is run by 12 yr olds with no business sense, who figure that ignoring their customers is the best solution. (whoops, sorry, I am choking on my turkey just imagining the meetings... Sales Manager: "I know, if we ignore our customers, perhaps they will all leave us and stop bothering us"....Now, since the HTML 5 universe is still very young, immature, perhaps there will be a tool with all of these features and run by grownups... but it IS sort of funny with the comments being made: "I will use SA but wont tell anyone I am!" or, "Lets tell everyone on Facebook how UNFAIR they are..." as if you think SA will listen or even share their vision with you. Of course, @ Senchacon, it will be hard for them to duck these questions. I assume all of the sales team will show up in disguise. use an alias...

Is this the beginning of an end ?

I Remember those days when Jack Slocum was an active forum member....long time.

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mysticav View Post
    Is this the beginning of an end ?

I Remember those days when Jack Slocum was an active forum member....long time.
    It must be the first time in software industry history when a company decides to go from single-pack to five-pack pricing. We're yet to see consequences of such transition. Time will show.

Page 46 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast