Page 101 of 124 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1240

Thread: Is Sencha ******** single developers?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Notepad123 View Post
    What about Ext JS Open Source License?
    Is that free to use?
    http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs/licensing
    AFAIK is GPL so only free if you develop GPL also.
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by nomack84 View Post
    But as @brian said before, just don't confuse people.
    I'm not confusing people at all. I'm just trying to warn those who plan to switch to Angular about the dangerous they are going to face.

I made two points:

1.) AngularJS 1.x is heading into maintenance mode, i.e. going forward expect only bug fixes and security patches.

According to Brad Green of Angular, Angular 1.3 will continue to receive bug fix and security patch support for 18-24 months after the release of version 2.0. - http://jaxenter.com/angular-2-0-112094.html

2.) Angular 2 totally breaks compatibility with AngularJS 1.x.

If you need a framework that is stable and supported long-term without constantly inventing new concepts and being rewritten, then Angular clearly is not for you.

Any talk about providing migration paths is pure nonsense and experienced developers will confirm that migrations to Big-Bang rewrites don't work very well.

Recommended reading:

Can AngularJS Maintain Its Dominance?

Angular 2.0 announcement backfires

Have the Angular Team lost their marbles?

Vote Rating

Is there some tutorial explaining what does it mean to
    "release your product under a GPL licence" and
    "share your code"

Do I have to put following words somewhere inside my files
    "I release myproduct under a GPL licence"

And do I need to put my application on public GitHub to "share your code"?
    After giving a read to the GPL FAQ's links than @worthlutz I've learnt a couple of things I'd like to share here about the GPL licence.
    1. You can sell your GPL application and earn money, but you must surrender your source code to the buyer
    2. You don't have to share your code if you don't want. If you built your app using GPL and someone ask you to give a copy of your software, you can say no if you want. You have no obligation to give them your code just because is GPL.
    The problem with GPL is that if you make an app to your customer using GPL, you have to give them the source code if they ask for it, you cannot denied them that, otherwise they can sue you. This is not such a big problem because you work for them and probably in the contract is established that they own the code. If you are fine till here, perfect, you can go with GPL.
    But... if your customer have plans to sell this software, they also must provide the source code. Most of the time this is not acceptable. Also, if you sell a GPL application, the buyer can sell it again if he want or he can publish online and you can't do anything. With a commercial licence this isn't allowed.
    Also, as stated in point 2, if you sell the software to someone, and someone else discover the software is GPL, this last person can ask for the software but there is no legal obligation to give it to him.

This was interesting to me, because I use to think that if you use GPL you must share your by obligation, but I was wrong. So if your making a specific software for a customer, which he doesn't plan to sell, or if he doesn't mind selling it with the source code, then you can safely go with ExtJS GPL version...
    At least that was I understood. If someone have something else to share, it'll be nice.
    Greetings!
    Ext is terrific!!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I have learned that nobody really understands GPL.
    It is to complicated, badly explained and badly defined/designed.

If you create a program that company intends to use internally then the company can hide/protect the code from competition since it is not obliged to share the program/code. The question is if some employee can put the code on the web. Does the code then becomes GPL and competitors can use it without charge and they can even request a source code? Can this be protected through NDA? Is this employee going to be responsible in some way? Can company in some way prevent competition to continue using published GPL code?

Also, I don't want to put 20 lines of license text in every file. It is ridiculous that you can't just put single line stating GPL Licence Version 3.

Vote Rating
    Ext is terrific!!

Vote Rating

I have learned that nobody really understands GPL.
    It is to complicated, badly explained and badly defined/designed.

If you create a program that company intends to use internally then the company can hide/protect the code from competition since it is not obliged to share the program/code. The question is if some employee can put the code on the web. Does the code then becomes GPL and competitors can use it without charge and they can even request a source code? Can this be protected through NDA? Is this employee going to be responsible in some way? Can company in some way prevent competition to continue using published GPL code?

Also, I don't want to put 20 lines of license text in every file. It is ridiculous that you can't just put single line stating GPL Licence Version 3.
    To answer your question, read this: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#StolenCopy
    Ext is terrific!!

Vote Rating

Well, this can be automatically done by your IDE. GPL is not perfect, sure. But if you don't want to put these 20 lines of licence in every file, then I guess you should pay, at least, 3225 USD and make your customer to pay the same amount. What do you prefer?
    Ext is terrific!!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Thanks I went through all of those except the last one.
    I am still confused about following.

What does it mean to publish a code as GPL so that "stealing of unpublished code breaks law"?
    If I give my code to a friend but don't want to give it to anyone else have I published my code?
    Can he freely give it to others?
    I can't force him to sign NDA or prevent redestribution?
    From your link it follows if company sells single copy then program is considered published and anyone can steal and sell any other copy of the program.

Also there is a section on using NDA on GPL that goes like this which I don't think I quiet understand.

Does the GPL allow me to develop a modified version under a nondisclosure agreement?

Yes. For instance, you can accept a contract to develop changes and agree not to release your changes until the client says ok. This is permitted because in this case no GPL-covered code is being distributed under an NDA.

You can also release your changes to the client under the GPL, but agree not to release them to anyone else unless the client says ok. In this case, too, no GPL-covered code is being distributed under an NDA, or under any additional restrictions.

The GPL would give the client the right to redistribute your version. In this scenario, the client will probably choose not to exercise that right, but does have the right.

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Sometimes you separate your business logic from your user interface, sometimes the frontend is just like a connector.

Is it really that bad to give the customer or customers the source code of your user interface?

You can keep your business logic private and close sources and your user interface public in github and benefit from it. You are happy and customer is happy.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by ogimenezb View Post
    Sometimes you separate your business logic from your user interface, sometimes the frontend is just like a connector.

Is it really that bad to give the customer or customers the source code of your user interface?

You can keep your business logic private and close sources and your user interface public in github and benefit from it. You are happy and customer is happy.
    In a section in Sencha licence, I don't remember where is that know, says you can't do that. Sencha is Frontend, yeah, but it connects with a Backend to work, so you must treat the whole app as one and give it the same licence.
    Ext is terrific!!

Page 101 of 124 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast