Page 114 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1240

Thread: Is Sencha ******** single developers?

I already admitted that tab switching is still the only remaining performance problem area. Otherwise, you are the only one complaining about general Ext JS performance issues in these forums.

I don't like complex tab panels, so this is not a problem for me.

Based on your "I'm now switching to DHTMLX" comment I don't think you are familiar with the "Make It Work. Make It Right. Make It Fast." programming adage.

If you use DHTMLX, you won't be able to pass the first two requirements, so you will never get to the "fast" part.

I asked you what MVC framework you recommend to use with DHTMLX. How are you going to structure a large application w/o a proper MVC foundation? This is a big problem for DHTMLX applications. They lack a proper structure.

Quote Originally Posted by bwibs View Post
    I evaluated DHTMLX a few years ago and it worked fine for me.
    Really?

These days any library that doesn't provide out of the box MVC support should be held in derision, laughed off, ridiculed and shamed publicly.

DHTMLX is such a library.

Sencha Premium User

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by AjaxSolutions View Post
    I don't like complex tab panels, so this is not a problem for me
    Complex tab panels full of grids and other tabs, etc, is about the only reason someone might choose Ext JS in the first place. If you're not trying to create a web app to mirror some monolithic desktop application, then I can think of simpler and cheaper frameworks that would be more appropriate.

Sencha's recent price change reflects the fact that they're going after enterprises, who are exactly the kind of people who WANT these complex tab panels in the first place!!! So they'd better start focusing on performance improvements and stability, and stop hastily adding features that haven't been properly tested.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by rich02818 View Post
    Tell you what. You create a multi-tabbed page, oh say 6 tabs, with let's say 40 different controls on each tab (you know, labels inputs, buttons, etc).
    Since I didn't get any layout or any other requirements I tried this and ran it on IE8 on Windows XP:

Code:
    function createFields(multiplier) {    var i = 1,
            length = 41,
            fields = [];

for (; i < length; i++) {
            fields.push({
                xtype: i % 2 === 1 ? 'textfield' : 'button',
                fieldLabel: 'Field ' + i * multiplier,
                text: 'Button ' + i * multiplier
            });
        }

return fields;
    }

new Ext.tab.Panel({
        renderTo: Ext.getBody(),
        width: 400,
        height: 600,
        items: [
            {
                title: 'Tab 1',
                scrollable: 'y',
                items: createFields(1)
            },
            {
                title: 'Tab 2',
                items: createFields(2)
            },
            {
                title: 'Tab 3',
                items: createFields(3)
            },
            {
                title: 'Tab 4',
                items: createFields(4)
            },
            {
                title: 'Tab 5',
                items: createFields(5)
            },
            {
                title: 'Tab 6',
                items: createFields(6)
            }
        ]
    });
    I'll admit this isn't a complex layout at all but you didn't say what layout to recreate so I went off just what you said.

So I switched tabs in IE8 and there is a lag, maybe 250ms or less? I didn't try to get a number as the performance wasn't incredibly bad. It's what I'd expect from a browser released that support will be dropped by Microsoft this next year.

iamright, slow tab switching has more to do with the size of the document and tab sizes.

Anyway, this is supposed to be fixed and really few people complain about it.

Ext JS Premium Member

Here's one of the well documented examples, with measured performance. Sencha marked the thread fixed, but it is provably not fixed as also documented toward the end of the thread:

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?136886

Quote Originally Posted by iamright View Post
    Since I didn't get any layout or any other requirements I tried this and ran it on IE8 on Windows XP:

Code:
    function createFields(multiplier) {    var i = 1,
            length = 41,
            fields = [];

for (; i < length; i++) {
            fields.push({
                xtype: i % 2 === 1 ? 'textfield' : 'button',
                fieldLabel: 'Field ' + i * multiplier,
                text: 'Button ' + i * multiplier
            });
        }

return fields;
    }

new Ext.tab.Panel({
        renderTo: Ext.getBody(),
        width: 400,
        height: 600,
        items: [
            {
                title: 'Tab 1',
                items: createFields(1)
            },
            {
                title: 'Tab 2',
                items: createFields(2)
            },
            {
                title: 'Tab 3',
                items: createFields(3)
            },
            {
                title: 'Tab 4',
                items: createFields(4)
            },
            {
                title: 'Tab 5',
                items: createFields(5)
            },
            {
                title: 'Tab 6',
                items: createFields(6)
            }
        ]
    });
    I'll admit this isn't a complex layout at all but you didn't say what layout to recreate so I went off just what you said.

So I switched tabs in IE8 and there is a lag, maybe 250ms or less? I didn't try to get a number as the performance wasn't incredibly bad. It's what I'd expect from a browser released that support will be dropped by Microsoft this next year.

@rich02818

What difference does Ext JS performance mean to you since you decided to migrate to DHTMLX?

I think you are here just to misrepresent and misinform others with your ignorant and misguided comments.

You wrote in another comment "DHTMLX is much lighter weight, capable and responsive."

Clearly, you don't understand framework design and tradeoffs. DHTMLX is a competitor to Ext JS 3, but not to Ext JS 4, 5 or 6. It might be lighter because it doesn't offer the all features that are available in Ext JS.

Ext JS is a full-blown and complete MVC and MVVM framework. DHTMLX is just a collection of components and it provides no MVC support.

Are you per chance familiar with the "Good, fast and cheap. Pick any two" adage?

Once you add the missing features to DHTMX including MVC foundation, performance of the framework will degrade. BTW you never answered my question about the MVC framework you are planning to use w/ DHTMLX.

Ext JS Premium Member

Ajax, you are hysterical! I post a link to objective, repeatable results and you respond with subjective insults. You claim I misinform and am ignorant, but have never shown that a single statement of mine is wrong. You've made it clear the you think ExtJS is the best. I'm happy for you. You appear to believe that MVC is required and the greatest thing since sliced bread. Good for you.

MVC can be great if used properly for some problem domains. If it were required, we'd all be using Smalltalk. There is no single "best way" for all systems. Those of us who've been designing and implementing complex software for a few decades may remember some of the other paradigms promoted by their fanboys (and especially tool vendors) as the new panacea.

OOA/OOD
    Booch,
    UML,
    Rumbaugh,
    Shlaer-Mellor,
    Structured Analysis, Structured Design with DFDs
    Top down; Bottom up
    etc

Or perhaps you can tell us your software organization's "Capability Maturity Model" rating from the Carnegie Mellon's software engineering institute. Clearly without an adequate CMM rating you can't possibly produce software...

At any rate, I (and I'm sure many others) tire of your ad-hominem attacks. Have a good life.

Quote Originally Posted by AjaxSolutions View Post
    @rich02818

What difference does Ext JS performance mean to you since you decided to migrate to DHTMLX?

I think you are here just to misrepresent and misinform others with your ignorant and misguided comments.

You wrote in another comment "DHTMLX is much lighter weight, capable and responsive."

Clearly, you don't understand framework design and tradeoffs. DHTMLX is a competitor to Ext JS 3, but not to Ext JS 4, 5 or 6. It might be lighter because it doesn't offer the all features that are available in Ext JS.

Ext JS is a full-blown and complete MVC and MVVM framework. DHTMLX is just a collection of components and it provides no MVC support.

Are you per chance familiar with the "Good, fast and cheap. Pick any two" adage?

Once you add the missing features to DHTMX including MVC foundation, performance of the framework will degrade. BTW you never answered my question about the MVC framework you are planning to use w/ DHTMLX.

@rich02818

I think you should get out more and perhaps even contemplate at what point your obsession with performance becomes unhealthy.

The vast majority of developers would be well-advised to use an MVC architecture in their applications, and this explains the massive proliferation of various JavaScript MVC frameworks currently available.

Good luck with your DHTMLX library selection... you will need it.

Sencha Premium Member

@ajax(extjs-only)solutions

How old are you ?
    We can forgive you if you are less than 12...

Page 114 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast