Page 2 of 124 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Sencha ******** single developers?

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

For me, it's all about communication. Even if Sencha feels they need to make this licensing change permanent, it seems like it could have been handled better. There could have been a blog post or something saying that a change was coming as a courtesy to those still evaluating the framework. It would have at least given people a chance to make an informed decision. It's hard to plan ahead when the pricing can change so drastically at a moment's notice. It is of course Sencha's prerogative, but I'm personally sad to see the single developer options go and think it sends a bad message. I hope Sencha reconsiders or at least works with those on the bubble who were still evaluating.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Default what does this mean?

"As your team grows you can provide up to two more licenses as soon as your developers need them without any additional processing."

As my team grows? I am a single developer. Does Sencha know something I don't? Do they know of 4 more people who are planning on joining my company? Darn, I have bet my companies future on using Sencha for developing custom data-centric applications for my customers. I guess after a year, when my maintenance expires, if Sencha does not decide to support the "little guys" I will have to find other companies who will be happy getting my 1K / year for buying the latest / greatest version of their software. (Humm, I don't know of another company that will not sell single seat developer's license. does anyone else?)

Bruce

Vote Rating

Any official statements?

How many from Your customers are small teams with less that 5 developers or sometime single developer teams?
    Don't You guys this is all about money? Admit it, You're trying to force people to buy 5-licenses pack, but what if someone don't need those additional licenses?
    For single developer cost of license is 5 times single license price, $3,225.00 for license?

Whats next? You'll remove "up to five" pack and everyone will have to buy 20 developers license?

Just think: is it better to sell 100 single developer licenses or sell 5 "up to 5"?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Exclamation Where will this lead to?

It feels like this is a mad decision of the leadership of sencha. It's already hard to find developers who have in depth knowledge of sencha extJS. Since single developers are no longer able to work legally with this framework, startups and hobby developers are not going to use extJS or sencha touch any more. But this are the developers of the future! So will we have to move over to angularJS? It is already much easier to find angular developers than extJS developers.

Price for a 3 user team using extJS5:
    987 USD in June 2014
    1,995 USD in August 2014 (about 200% of original price within 2 months)
    3,225 USD in October 2014 (> 300% of original price within 4 months)
    ?,??? USD in December 2014 ?

These days we thought about using sencha architect. We would only use that for the conceptual work. So we wanted to by one licence for Jan, who is doing the customer contact and support. But even architect is only sold in 5 user packs which are quite too expensive for us. So what shall we do?
    Last edited by bastian.haustein; 3 Oct 2014 at 5:02 AM. Reason: Format vanished

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I completely agree bastian. I see this as a classic case of money-minded (VC) management thinking that they can drive efficiency and profitability by focusing on high-value enterprise customers, and completely failing to grasp the subtleties of the ecosystem and broader market. Here's my scenario, perhaps it will resonate.

I was hoping to adopt Ext JS / Touch for one of my clients' forthcoming projects. They're a startup; I'm the sole frontend developer for the time being. That basically means that I have the final say over which technology we use. It also means there's no possible way I could convince them to purchase a 5-seat licence at this early stage.

As a result, we'll now go a different route; I will focus my efforts on different frameworks and my burgeoning involvement with Sencha and this community dies here. Sencha loses my client's business forever. And in me, they also lose a developer who, having invested himself in the ecosystem, would have hopped from client to client acting as an unpaid Sencha salesman.

I suspect this is a scenario that will be repeated hundreds, if not thousands of times in the coming months.

Sencha management have just shut down the conveyor that draws individual developers and small teams on board with the framework. These developers will now move to projects like Angular etc., which will only serve to strengthen those (competing) products and their communities. The Sencha community suffers; valuable developer feedback dries up (think Ext JS 5 bugs, thank you very much). Enterprise teams start to find it even harder and more expensive to hire competent Sencha developers and harder to justify investment in the Sencha ecosystem in the face of maturing and well-supported open-source projects.

Congratulations, Sencha management!

Anyway, I've had enough - I'm off to download AngularJS and invest myself in technologies where it doesn't feel as though I'm being sucked dry.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

There is no way this will last. I work for a very large Fortune 500 company, but when this past January came around we talked about getting a Sencha Complete 5 Pack, but due to some restructure we ended up getting only 1 for me and another developer had the Sencha Touch Bundle already.

We've had several licenses for Ext, Architect, support, and even sent a couple of people to a Sencha Touch class so we've obviously invested in Sencha, but it's now really down to me as the sole internal resource that uses the Sencha products. With management looking at packaged "platforms" more and more, as well as cost cutting across the board there is no way I could convince them into buying a 5 pack just in case we wanted to add 4 more developers (believe me I tried when I got approval for mine).

To be honest, I'll be hard pressed to request to renew my subscription in January if this licensing model stays in place. It looks like I could renew my single subscription because I've had it before this change took place, but it feels like a little bit of a betrayal.

Maybe I'm being petty at the moment and I'll change my tune come January, but I have to wonder if Sencha management thought there would only be minimal backlash. Granted the majority of users for any product do not frequent the forums of a company so it's usually the minority that's vocal, but word gets around on what's considered a negative change and I don't see the upside here.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

sorry but I have to say this, we purchased 5 dev license with "premium support" and I ooh boy ....
    Sencha support is anything but Premium , there is no SlA on major bugs in SDK, all you get is the message, thanks for letting us know, bug will be fixed in next release, nobody knows when, and then after pushing them for over a month, they throw you a bone and give you a lame workaround with also does not work, so then again you push them and you get yet another workaround anyways, Sencha support is complete disaster, so I do not think you have lost anything not havving support option.
    nerxt project - I an going directly with Javascript, no more EXTJS support nightmare.

P.S: at work, I (former top promoter of EXTJS after flex got dupped ) have joined a anti EXTJS camp, and will definatly not promote this technology to management anymore,

Sencha! its time to fix this mess pliz.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Default adding insult to injury

I contacted again Sencha sales,

They say they are sorry, but for me to renew the license of Sencha Complete, I HAVE TO PAY 3 years of maintenance and support:

"I would love to give you some fantastic price, and make it all sunshine and roses, but all I really have to offer is from september,25th 2012 to september,25th 2015 for $495 each year totaling $1485.00."

Why should I pay 3 years of NO SUPPORT?????? There was not even a bug fix release of EXT4 in the last year....
    And I am just 10 days ahead of having to pay "only" 2 years...

Really ???

I never saw something like that, seriously, never ever, in my 35 years of work.

What's wrong with these guys?

It's clearly a shot in the foot.

Vote Rating

I think they are not helping getting "new" customer with this and the fact that the Eclipse plug-in, really useful for newbies, are not accessible without major cost.Higher learning curve and higher entry cost == less new business

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

And is it possible that we pay the licence and dispatch it between 5 developers ? I am also in this case and i was thinking about renewal.So imagine, i pay the licence and we separate the licence between each 4 others. I don't need the support, they never helped me, the answers were better with the community so...

Page 2 of 124 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast