Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Sencha ******** single developers?

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

>>> Anyway, I've had enough - I'm off to download AngularJS and invest myself in technologies where it doesn't feel as though I'm being sucked dry.

AngularJS is not a competitor to Ext JS and its codebase is seriously
    bananas.

If you like to take a look under the hood, you will see that it's hard to understand this library.
    Here is an AngularJS code fragment as an example:

Code:
    // Insanity Warning: scope depth-first traversal
    // yes, this code is a bit crazy, but it works and we have tests to prove it!
    // this piece should be kept in sync with the traversal in $broadcast
    if (!(next = (current.$$childHead ||
        (current !== target && current.$$nextSibling)))) {
      while(current !== target && !(next = current.$$nextSibling)) {
        current = current.$parent;
      }
    }

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I sent an email to sales@sencha.com yesterday asking for an explanation and have not yet been provided one. This (now) is the norm for me - not to hear back from Sencha when I write and it doesn't make me feel particularly confident in them.

In the mean time, I'd suggest making this situation known to your fellow developers in groups on linkedin etc. about this situation to put the pressure on the company for a response.

Making reference to the QC issues indicated by others: In the late 80's I coded with products from MS and Borland. I therefore know it's possible to write good, stable and reliable development tools. However, in my recent coding experience with Sencha, much of the time I've felt as though I'm swimming against the tide due to the number of bugs I find, others report and we encounter.
    Sencha products are brilliant and written by brilliant people but QC is poor and tardy, lackadaisical and blase responses to problems have a knock-on effect and cost to your business.

If the company has lost direction and doesn't wake up to the "behaviour" and "attitude" currently demonstrated then we need to think about our business futures, our customers and the ongoing support of the products we produce for them which are based on Sencha tools.I hope Sencha wakes up to this discontent, release a proactive statement soon so we resume confidence and a positive future for them and ourselves.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mattjenkins View Post
    Anyway, I've had enough - I'm off to download AngularJS and invest myself in technologies where it doesn't feel as though I'm being sucked dry.
    You should take a look at SmartClient.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

I'm taking a look into DHTMLX - comments welcome.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Default Ups! I did it again...

I remember in middle 90s when I started with Visual Basic (version 3 or 4) but it didn't "feel right" when suddenly Borland released Delphi 1. IMHO the best development IDE & language for Windows but poorly managed all the time.

Borland did EXACTLY the same mistake: target at enterprise customer forgetting about individual and hobbyist. Result: After been a thread for MS tools Delphi now is a niche market product. No new developers. Revenue stream narrowing each year because the high cost of the product which make it a target for been cracked and pirated.

Again, I forgot the wisdom of the words "nobody gets fired for buying Oracle". Just change the name with jQuery (supported by MS), dojo (supported by IBM) or AngularJS / AngularJS UI (supported by Google).

Ups! I did it again...
    Seems that I did it again: Selected the best framework for the job but poorly managed.

It is clear that ExtJS is superior to anything in the JS frameworks arena but kicking off single developers isn't a smart move.
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

I found http://dhtmlx.com/ looks promising.

P.S: i want to take precautions in case sencha continues this disasterous support streak.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by levancho View Post
    I found http://dhtmlx.com/ looks promising.

P.S: i want to take precautions in case sencha continues this disasterous support streak.
    I have used DHTMLX in the past and it's really good. Their support team's response in the forums is also top notch and fast. I was working with it in 3.x a few years ago and they were actually fixing and checking in bugs I found almost nightly. It wasn't like..."here try this override or try this workaround...it was here try 3.0.123456 which we just built to fix this bug!"

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

I am also very surprised that the same community that help build/debug/test/promote extjs is being squeezed out of the picture. I also "was" a huge fan of extjs before it became popularized, (paid for support that I never used, assuming it was helping the company) and I am very disappointed at the administration for choosing this path. Here's a thought: How long before the open-source GPL version is also taken away?I will be looking into alternative frameworks (angular/dojo) in the future.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by jbanasiak View Post
    Here's a thought: How long before the open-source GPL version is also taken away?I will be looking into alternative frameworks (angular/dojo) in the future.
    Has is not been taken away already? Where is the download link? Seriously, not a rhetorical question, where the f**k is the download link?!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I am beyond upset. It is like this 2008 thing all over again. I don't think I can take it a second time around and stick with Sencha:

http://extisevil.blogspot.com/2008/0...-on-extjs.html
    http://www.reddit.com/comments/6gli8...to_gpl/c03s6s9

I really thought Sencha was passed that.

Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast