Page 45 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Sencha ******** single developers?

Ext JS Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by donluc007 View Post
    Hi all,

It's sad to see passionate people move away or become negative about what they like, want and feel for.

I would personally avoid to blame x or y, be negative about it or not - it's a business decision, we would need to respect it, ask for solutions on the long run and find alternatives on the short run, until Sencha figures out if they come back to the old model.

I am proposing that each we team-up and buy as many licenses as we, as individuals, need. We just need to find a fair and legal (in-line with Sencha's licensing model) way to do so, even get Sencha's OK for such an approach. I am one; I've read this proposal from other 2-3 individuals on page 2 and page 4-5-6 of this tread. I am sure all individuals will be able to join this group/community which provides them access to actually buy 1 developer license.

Let me know what you think.

Feel free to approach me directly.

Lucian,
    I can already see someone finding a loophole where a user buys 5 license and be able transfer it to someone... Of course, he'll post the sales on Ebay for 2x the cost of 1x license. This is still cheaper then paying 5x license.

Sencha Premium User

Possibly.

I am not proposing this for a profit, course.

Do you need a 1 developer ext js license?
    It's not clear from you reply.

Ext JS Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by donluc007 View Post
    Possibly.

I am not proposing this for a profit, course.

Do you need a 1 developer ext js license?
    It's not clear from you reply.
    It was just a comment that someone could take advantage of. I don't need the license.

I used to be such an avid promoter of Sencha Touch to developers I'd meet at all the meetups I attend. Now I'm just too ashamed to even mention it :-(

Ext JS Premium Member

Default OK, so what's your cross browser alternative

Quote Originally Posted by francescosyd View Post
    I used to be such an avid promoter of Sencha Touch to developers I'd meet at all the meetups I attend. Now I'm just too ashamed to even mention it :-(
    I have to admit, we're not doing Touch at the moment but are waiting to upgrade to 5.x when it's stable. However, when folks say that they're against Sencha EXTJS/Touch what is your alternative for a cross browser experience? I hate to sound like a Sencha "fan", but I haven't found anything better yet from a programmer perspective.

The areas that I think EXTJS excels are the grid, the layout, the store and the OO-like framework. Please let me know if another product comes close to these 4 areas. If I were to create a Javascript based company these would be the foundations on which I would focus.

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by francescosyd View Post
    While I will keep developing with ExtJS certainly I will not promote its use.
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Ext JS Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dougbieber View Post
    I have to admit, we're not doing Touch at the moment but are waiting to upgrade to 5.x when it's stable. However, when folks say that they're against Sencha EXTJS/Touch what is your alternative for a cross browser experience? I hate to sound like a Sencha "fan", but I haven't found anything better yet from a programmer perspective.

The areas that I think EXTJS excels are the grid, the layout, the store and the OO-like framework. Please let me know if another product comes close to these 4 areas. If I were to create a Javascript based company these would be the foundations on which I would focus.
    By all means, I really like ExtJS but there are pretty good alternative solutions. I noticed that other mentioned Qooxdoo but I have no experience with that but I do have experience with other technologies I've used.

AngularJS - Provides MVVM framework that mainly focuses on "dual binding". ExtJS 5 does "dual binding" but AngularJS made it more transparent than ExtJS. It also comes with testing classes so that you can test controller/view/model easily. Yes, you can do the test with ExtJS but they don't provide any test helper class. The biggest con of AngularJS is that they don't have any UI library. You need to create from scratch but it's pretty easy to build a component aka "directive" pretty easily. With this framework, you develop the work from declaritive point of view. Example,

<tabs>
    <tab><tabTitle></tabTitle></tab>
    </tabs>

Angular gives you the control on how those tags should translate into HTML. You can make up your own HTML's. This is getting long so I'll stop for Angular.

Bootstrap - Provides layout design that focuses on responsive design. ExtJS does provide responsive design but it's not very flexible. They also comes with UI library but it's nothing compared to ExtJS.

KendoUI/IgniteUI/WijmoUI/Bootstrap UI - These are some of the commercial and open source widget libary that can be used with AngularJS.

Overall, it's a complete opposite way of coding when compared to ExtJS. In ExtJS, you're thinking

"I need a hbox layout container with two vbox layout container where one of the contains form panel...blah blah blah..

In AngularJS, you're thinking
    "I need to create a tag called <hbox> and <vbox> and use it like this"
    <form>
    <div>
    <hbox>
    <box>blah</box>
    <hbox>
    <vbox>
    <box>blah</box>
    <vbox>
    </div>

I keep rambling on and on.. I'll stop but it should give you the idea as this could be the alternative solution.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    AngularJS - Provides MVVM framework that mainly focuses on "dual binding".
    Dual binding is way overblown at least according to the Ember team.

"After a few years of having written Ember applications, we have observed that most of the data bindings in the templating engine do not actually require two-way bindings."

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    You need to create from scratch but it's pretty easy to build a component aka "directive" pretty easily. With this framework, you develop the work from declaritive point of view.
    It may be easy to create easy components. good luck developing a feature to feature grid that is on par with Ext JS. I wouldn't call that easy. From what I understand, this statement means that it's easy to create a "directive" much like it's easy to use Ext.define to create a class.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Dual binding is way overblown at least according to the Ember team.

"After a few years of having written Ember applications, we have observed that most of the data bindings in the templating engine do not actually require two-way bindings."
    I'd agree with this. Two-way bindings are great in a simple form but in the applications I've had to create two-way binding just isn't flexible enough to suit the business logic that needs to go into it. It can still be used to reduce the amount of code you have to write in my instances but I wouldn't count on using it everywhere. Just my opinion, definitely not a feature that would make me switch to some new framework.

Page 45 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast