Page 54 of 124 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Sencha ******** single developers?

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Dojo is a dead end software and I'd highly recommend staying away from it.
    Version 2 shouldn't be that far away, and yes, it's not currently in fashion but it seems to be ticking all the boxes on what I need (minus a rowediting plugin for a grid, but I'm not paying 1,000% more just for that!). I reckon dojo will make a bit of a comeback when 2.0 is released, hopefully some time next year. Its license means that I'll never be stung again, and that counts for a lot!

Sencha User

>> minus a rowediting plugin for a grid,

dojo dgrid (not xgrid!) has a cell editor plugin that you can transfer into a roweditor.

I have a dgrid4 that offers rowediting in my application.

But I have to admit that the grid is THE part where extjs really shines (even extjs 5!).

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    I did look at dojotoolkits, it looks very promising! Better then I thought.
    "Better than I thought" was my reaction, too. I was stunned by its accessibility and keyboard support. It even focuses splitter bars between resizable panes so that you can move it with the arrow keys! Dojo seems a lot more stable, as well (at least that's my impression so far).

I can also go back to a single page per use-case style of development (Ext JS has turned me into a completely abnormal type of coder for GUIs, and my single page HTML/CSS skills are quite rusty; it'll be good to make things simpler again and do away with Sencha's "all or nothing" style). I'm looking forward to Dojo's Asynchronous Module Definitions so that I can share more code between projects via simple includes.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Do they still provide support via the mailing list? Otherwise, you will need to pay for support, so it's not exactly free.
    Hey, I didn't even know they had paid support subscriptions. Nice :-) I'll happily pay $625 a year instead of c. $5,000 for a Sencha Complete license for just one developer.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by ssamayoa View Post
    IMHO qooxdo is better than dojo.
    This will get me down-voted for sure, but I'm not sure I could ever be comfortable with saying "I'm a qooxdoo programmer". The name is just ridiculous. Petty, I know :-)

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by marc.fearby View Post
    Version 2 shouldn't be that far away...
    Two years behind schedule... and do they have any schedule?

Meanwhile Dojo will continue with point releases as they did for years .90, 1.00, 1.10, 1.20...

...and let us know how you like the Dojo free mailing list support. They don't have a support forum such as this one.

Let's check... when was the last Dojo book published... in 2008? Ooops this is kind of old.

Sencha User

Hi, I tried to post something but it seems as if the forum ate it :-)

So here it is again.

I am a long-term user of extjs.

And when this discussion started, I thought "not again a company and a (good) product that will go down the drain due to a wrong management strategy".

I had been a victim of these things with Borland some decades ago. Once is enough.

In addition: I upgraded my app to extjs 5.

Huge mistake.

I spent an awful time to work around bugs and performance issues.
    Mostly problems with data model issues (parent/child links), two-way data binding. I have the feeling that extjs5 has become too complex and too buggy.

I spent 10% of my time coding, the rest bug hunting and solution searching.....

So I looked for alternatives and I started with dojo two months ago. Yes, it sometimes feels like going back to the stone age.

Yes, you have to do a lot of coding that you don't do in extjs.
    Yes, you have to work a lot with css.
    Yes, there is no "one-stop" for all information and support.

BUT: I now spend my time coding and what I code works !
    I am back to the time when programming a software was also fun.

dojo has also some excellent features like aspects/promises (asynchronous jobs) and actions (hook into functions).

There is a mailing list with good support. You can still read and understand the source code.

It's free. You can participate.

So far I am quite happy with it.
    Last edited by Jim_33; 12 Dec 2014 at 5:04 PM. Reason: line feeds

Sencha User

The English pronounciation of qooxdoo is similar to the German

"Guckst Du" - meaning "Look here !"

I did some trials with it.
    While it is great, what bothered me:
    It is monstly maintained by ONE German company - and it is not their core business.

So it can vanish from one day to another.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_33 View Post
    So far I am quite happy with it.
    Jim, hi!

Would you be able to ask someone from the Dojo team why each node in the Dojo tree component (or widget as they prefer to call it) is a widget?

How is this supposed to scale? A node can easily have 500 child nodes... and Dojo will happily create components for these nodes.

I don't see this performing. In Ext JS, the Tree panel doesn't create any supporting components.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_33 View Post
    So I looked for alternatives and I started with dojo two months ago. Yes, it sometimes feels like going back to the stone age.
    BUT: I now spend my time coding and what I code works !
    I am back to the time when programming a software was also fun.
    It's no longer enjoyable coding in Ext JS now, especially with Sencha Architect; it's a daily chore to have to use that thing these days (but it still gets the job done quicker). Going "back to the stone age" would still open up a world of freedom and possibilities, and as you say, I'm pretty sure it's more fun. I have nearly forgotten what that was like.

Page 54 of 124 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast