Page 87 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Sencha ******** single developers?

Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    Here are all themes for Bootstrap
    https://wrapbootstrap.com/themes

Anything there can be built using AngularJS. The theme costs usually less than $50. Try to create that theme in ExtJS. By all means, I like ExtJS and AngularJS but I feel you don't quite get AngularJS.

I forgot they are also responsive.
    Other than Bootstrap, what JS libs did you use? How did you manage dependencies?

Ext JS Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by AjaxSolutions View Post
    Other than Bootstrap, what JS libs did you use? How did you manage dependencies?
    I'm glad you have now turn to page 2 of AngularJS. Please continue reading.

I'm glad you have now turn to page 2 of AngularJS. Please continue reading.
    I sense some attitude. AngularJS and Boostrap are two tiny libraries. Is this all that you used? Did you mange your dependencies in any way?

Ext JS Premium Member

I sense some attitude. AngularJS and Boostrap are two tiny libraries. Is this all that you used? Did you mange your dependencies in any way?
    If anything, you are too bias with ExtJS. My point is that you don't know AngularJS enough to tell someone about difference between ExtJS vs AngularJS. Without any attitude, I advise you to empty your bowl of ExtJS love and learn AngularJS w/o comparing to ExtJS. Imagine someone talk false rumor about ExtJS who barely even know what it is and that it sucks compare to other framework. Both frameworks are very powerful. As open source advocate, it is always GREAT to use open source library other than ExtJS. Also, if you have never integrated other JS libraries with ExtJS then my guess is that you really haven't built any 'car'

If anything, you are too bias with ExtJS. My point is that you don't know AngularJS enough to tell someone about difference between ExtJS vs AngularJS. Without any attitude, I advise you to empty your bowl of ExtJS love and learn AngularJS w/o comparing to ExtJS. Imagine someone talk false rumor about ExtJS who barely even know what it is and that it sucks compare to other framework. Both frameworks are very powerful. As open source advocate, it is always GREAT to use open source library other than ExtJS. Also, if you have never integrated other JS libraries with ExtJS then my guess is that you really haven't built any 'car'
    You never answered my questions, but congratulations on building your bike toy application.

Sencha User

You never answered my questions, but congratulations on building your bike toy application.
    There was a time that Sencha, way back in the day, was used to build toy applications. There was a time that a lot of enthusiasts decided to give this new framework a look and saw something promising, something worth the headaches, the learning curve above the traditional HTML/CSS/javascript model at the time. I'm sure there were people who scoffed and said "good luck" or "congratulations with your toy, but how do you manage dependencies?" and went on their way. ExtJS grew in popularity because of those toy builders, who showed them to their employers or clients and so on and helped build ExtJS into what it is today.

Which brings us to this thread. I think we've all agreed that Sencha's new licensing model essentially tells the enthusiasts, the small shops, and the freelance developer to either pay for 5 or get lost. This thread originally asked the question "Is Sencha screwing single developers?" We can debate the ROI of Sencha, how it is better than everything else out there and we can do so professionally or otherwise. But it stems from fact that the answer is yes. In fact, this thread has grown from the original question, to another question "Sencha IS screwing single developers. What are you going to do about it?" There's really two answers: Bend over and take it or move on.

Those who look down and scoff when people talk about moving on are doing a disservice to Sencha and its community. They ignore the fact that lots of products started out toy-like in the beginning and eventually gained traction and popularity, including Sencha.

It is not outside the realm of possibility that one of the many toy like frameworks, or whatever you want to call them, eclipses Sencha. It's happened to others and it often starts with licensing moves like this. I hope that Sencha eventually changes its mind and licensing model, but I doubt they will.

"There are deep problems with Angular as it exists today. Yet it is very popular. This is an indication of a problem with how we developers choose frameworks. On the one hand, its really hard to evaluate such a project without spending a long time using it. On the other hand, many people like to recommend projects they havent used in any depth, because the idea of knowing what the next big thing is feels good. The result is that people choose frameworks largely based on advice from people who dont know what theyre talking about."

AngularJS: The Bad Parts

Sencha Premium Member

Most of his gripes are due to his lack of understanding of AngularJS, as well as problems that were addressed many months before that blog entry was published. And you don't have to spend "a long time" using it to discover this. It took only took me a few weeks, which is significantly shorter than the learning curve I experienced with Ext JS.

I fully agree that no one should blindly embrace a solution based only on hearsay or trendiness. But the converse is also true: one cannot legitimately criticize a solution when they have only a limited understanding of it. A blind critic doesn't know what they're talking about just as much as a blind embracer.

Quote Originally Posted by brian428 View Post
    Most of his gripes are due to his lack of understanding of AngularJS, as well as problems that were addressed many months before that blog entry was published.
    Why do you think Angular 2 is being completely redone later this year (with not clear path for upgrading) if there are no deep problems with it?

Even simple things such as integrating with the RequireJS loader are difficult in Angular because Angular is not friendly to the AMD format. Again, this is supposed to be improved later this year.

Page 87 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast