Thread: Deteroriating View Perfomance and Num of Columns in Grid

Sencha User

Default Deteroriating View Perfomance and Num of Columns in Grid

Hi All

I have come across an issue which I was hoping to get some help with.
    I have a view which contains some forms, some other controls such as combos and components such as buttons, charts and also a grid all in the same view on screen (i,e, the viewpost). The grid usually contains records that number 2500 and above. The grid has a large number of columns (40 and above)

What I seem to have noticed is that if I have a small number of columns in the grid (e.g. 8 columns), my whole view (the items in the viewport) is very responsive. For example, if I click on a button to display a window, the window displays almost immediately. However, If I increase the number of columns in the grid (e.g. to about 40), the performance of all the components of all the components decreases massively and the whole view become very sluggish. For example, if click on a button to display a window, it takes a few noticeable amount of milliseconds before the window is displayed. Also, if you click on the drop down menu of a combo, it takes a few noticeable milliseconds before the items in the combo are displayed (NOTE: the combo store uses local data). The same goes for date editor fields (the dates take a few noticeable milliseconds before being displayed) etc. I profiled the app using Google Chrome profiler and it confirmed my suspicions (i.e. an increased number of columns in the grid somehow reduces the responsiveness of other unrelated components). For example, if the grid has 8 columns and I click on a button to display a window, the Window displays in about 150ms. However, if the grid has about 40 columns the window displays in about 2500ms - 3000ms (i.e. 2 to 3 secs). Bear in mind that the grid is not rendered / created each time the button to display the window is clicked. It is only loaded once (i.e. when the page loads initially). If I remove the grid completely, every thing is very snappy.

The thing is that the number of rows in the grid does not seem to affect the performance by any noticeable degree but the number of columns seems to affect other components drastically. I use a buffered grid and buffered store but that does not seem to help. It would be understandable if just the grid was slow but the fact the it affects the performance of other unrelated components does not seem to tally for me.

I am not sure what causes this drastic deterioration. Could it be some events on the grid columns that get called for each cell (column) on each row each time before another component is displayed or is it something else?

Does anyone have any ideas / clues?

Sencha User

Any ideas anyone??

Answers

We'd be happy to test along with you. Can you put together a representative test case at https://fiddle.sencha.com to share here?