Thread: Rendering Issues with Line Chart with multiple series and axes

Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.

Default Rendering Issues with Line Chart with multiple series and axes

Required Information

Version(s) of Ext GWT
    Ext GWT 3.1

Browser versions and OS
    (and desktop environment, if applicable)
    • Chrome 37.0.2062.124, MacOS X 10.10, Tomcat 8.0.8, Java 1.7.0_71
    Virtual Machine
    No

Description
    I have two issues with a line chart with 2 range axes and 3 data series.
    1. The series start at different points depending on how many are in the series
    2. The graph rendering goes haywire after a certain number of points
    I have added some screenshots that indicate this, along with an example project that illustrates the issue.

In the real world, this component will have to display a dynamic number of series that will have been configured elsewhere.

As there is no inbuilt support for a dynamic number of series as all the examples use fixed value providers, I followed the pattern here

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...-number-of-lin

This appears to work, apart from these issues.

Is this the best way of doing this? The other examples are map based and not really applicable to my use case.

Run mode
    Both development and production mode

Steps to reproduce the problem

Issue 1
    1. Start running in development mode in Eclipse
    2. Open app in browser with default no of points of 100 for each series
    3. Note that the series starts at just before 15.08:50 (GMT)
    4. Change the no of points to 10 & hit reload data
    5. Note that the series now starts at 15.07:50, however the first point in the data has not changed
    6. Change the compression ratio to 1 & note that this still happens
    7. Change the no of points to 200 & compression ratio back to 20 & hit reload data
    8. Note that the series now starts at just after 15.16:40 - a difference of 6 minutes
    Issue 2
    1. Now change the no of points to 289
    2. Reload the data
    3. Note that the series draw OK
    4. Change the no of points to 290 & hit reload data
    5. Note that the chart is now rubbish
    6. Change the no of points back to 289 & hit reload data
    7. Note that the chart is ok again
    Expected result
    1. The series should start at the same point no matter how may points are in the series
    2. The series should render correctly with any number of points
    Actual result
    Described above

Test case

I have added a project as a zip as there are several files, however the entry point & main class is TimeSeriesChartPanel. I have deleted the gwt & gxt libs from the WEB-INF/lib directory to keep the file size down

This is taken from a real application we are prototyping and the data from a real test case, so I wanted to keep it as real as possible.

Helpful Information
    You will see that I have overridden the Category Axis class to compress the labels by only showing every n'th one.

I do not believe this is the issue as, if you set the compression ration to 1, it defaults to the standard implementation.

It also appears to be unrelated to the no of points in a given series - if you remove one of the series (e.g. 3) by toggling one of the series buttons at the top & reload you will see you can now display 400 points OK, although if you change to 500 points you have issues again. This suggests the data is not the issue.

Screenshot or video
    Debugging already done
    • As above
    Possible fix
    Not known
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Update - Issue 1 resolved

I have resolved the first issue with the series starting at different points - it turns out you want a numeric axis here, not a category axis, so my error.

Even with this fixed, I still see the rendering go mad however with more than about 1000 points across the 3 series.

Can someone from Sencha assist, or at least comment on this issue.

We are evaluating purchasing both GXT and Ext JS as we are considering standardising on Sencha for all of our Web UI work, however I will not be able to recommend this if we can't make any progress on this issue, or at least understand if there is a workaround.

Simon

Sencha Sr Product Manager

I'm investigating the issue.

Just a note, if you have access to the premium forum or support portal the issues posted there are immediately checked with in the day and often I can find a workaround quickly. The general bug forums I periodically check unless someone brings it to my attention. Feel free to contact me with a link to the post privately though messages and I'll get to it sooner.

Thanks for reporting, I'll check into this and get back soon.

I reproduced the issue where it goes wild with GXT 3.1.0. I tried out your test case on 3.1.4 and I see 2000 points working. Could you try out the the version with GXT 3.1.4 or GXT 4.0 version and see if that works for you? I think the issue may be fixed. I think you can get a GXT 4.0 trial version to try it out.

Here is screenshot using 1000. Same thing for 2000 too.

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 12.20.43 PM.jpg