Thread: Evaluation of GXT 3 and GWT 2.7

Sencha Premium User

Default Evaluation of GXT 3 and GWT 2.7

Hi.

My company currently uses gxt 2, and we would like to evaluate an upgrade to gxt 3 + gwt 2.7.
    I can see that the latest gxt is only available for support subscribers, as usual.
    The problem is, I see that only gxt 3.1.2 was updated to support gwt 2.7.

Is this really the case? The available evaluation download version (3.1.1) won't work with gwt2.7?

Thanks,
    Michel.

Sencha Premium Member

They should do a 3.1.1b GPL release like they did earlier with 3.0.x to make it usable with GWT 2.7.0.

Ext GWT Premium Member

Compiling GXT using GWT 2.7 gives an interesting error:

Code:
    [INFO]    Computing all possible rebind results for 'com.sencha.gxt.theme.base.client.field.ErrorTipDefaultAppearance.ErrorTipFrameResources'
    [INFO]       Rebinding com.sencha.gxt.theme.base.client.field.ErrorTipDefaultAppearance.ErrorTipFrameResources
    [INFO]          Invoking generator com.google.gwt.resources.rebind.context.InlineClientBundleGenerator
    [INFO]             Preparing method background
    [INFO]                [WARN] Resource 'com/sencha/gxt/core/public/clear.gif' was located via ClassLoader. As a result changes in that resource will not be reflected in per-file recompiles. It should be registered via  <source /> or <resource /> entry in your .gwt.xml. In a future version of GWT, we will remove this fallback and your application will stop compiling

Sencha Premium Member

Yep - we're also seeing that message. Note though, it's a warning rather than an error.

I found this thread which seems top relate to the same area:

http://www.sencha.com/forum/archive/...t-193329.html?

But we are already inheriting the full GXT as per documentation:

<inherits name='com.sencha.gxt.ui.GXT' />
    <!-- GXT stylesheet -->
    <stylesheet src="reset.css" />

So the suggested solution isn't applicable.

Sencha User

Hi there!

I'm using GXT in my open source project @ https://github.com/fhcampuswien/atom

Now I would like to upgrade to GWT 2.7.0 but can't because the latest GPL version of GXT is 3.1.1 which will generate this error during gwt-compile when using GWT 2.7.0:
    Code:
    [INFO]    Tracing compile failure path for type 'com.sencha.gxt.data.client.loader.XmlReader'
    [INFO]       [ERROR] Errors in 'jar:file:/home/kaefert/.m2/repository/com/sencha/gxt/gxt/3.1.1/gxt-3.1.1.jar!/com/sencha/gxt/data/client/loader/XmlReader.java'
    [INFO]          [ERROR] Line 52: The type XmlReader<M,Base>.XmlSplittable must implement the inherited abstract method Splittable.removeReified(String)
    Are there plans to release GXT 3.1.2 under GPL licenses and if so, when will it be released?

Sencha Premium Member

Default Workaround GPL 3.1.1 with GWT 2.7.0

As a workaround with 3.1.1 GPL

Include a copy of the XMLReader in your project (same packagename) and add this to the XMLReader.XmlSplittable class

Code:
    public void removeReified(String key) {
            reifiedData.remove(key);
    }
    Regards,
    Sebastiaan

Sencha User

oh wow, that was easy

thanks sblommers, if I'd known it was that easy I would have tried that myself, I just thought that this is just the first of a huge list of problems that I don't want to all work around manually

Sencha Premium Member

Also seeing the same warning on both a build and in super-dev mode:

Code:
                      Preparing method background
                         [WARN] Resource 'com/sencha/gxt/core/public/clear.gif' was
    located via ClassLoader. As a result changes in that resource will not be reflec
    ted in per-file recompiles. It should be registered via  <source /> or <resource
     /> entry in your .gwt.xml. In a future version of GWT, we will remove this fall
    back and your application will stop compiling
    On GWT 2.7 and GXT 3.1.2. Consulted the archive thread referenced above, but don't see an actual answer to this one.

Best I can tell it can be worked around by locating clear.gif and manually copying to your own public dir. Seems like a messy hack though.

Sencha Premium Member

Don't worry about that warning, it plays a role in GWT 3.0. Ignore it.

*To clarify, things are fine in 2.7 but not for 3.0 so you're good to go for now*

Sencha Premium Member

Okay ... but what happens in 3.0 then?

FWIW - spurious warnings and errors in a continuous build environment are pretty bad news. You either have to add cases to ignore them, or your builds are continually flagged as failing. Neither is especially good - adding ignore cases can be especially dangerous, since they can get left in and later hide real warning cases.