Vote Rating
    Asken is on a distinguished road

Default I want to create a GPL version of my software administration tool

Hi,

Today I have a server software which includes a infrastructure to service and update client code but no really good tool to manage it.

I'm planning to create a tool for it using the extjs GPL license to see if I can combine open source and propriety. You are however writing:
    "Certain Technical Strategies
    Our interpretation is that the use of technical strategies that store and transmit Ext JS or Sencha Touch code as data (for example by storing JavaScript libraries as data-files within a database which are then transmitted as data files to the browser and only then converted into a program through the use of eval()) does not change the above definition of software program under the GPLv3 definitions."

Are you with this wanting me to also provide the sources for the server part responsible for reading and writing the sources to the database or are you simple meaning that if the extjs code is produced through database calls the source handling those calls should be open sourced? Extjs will only be used as a tool to write code and no extjs code for the admin tool will be rendered this way.

Can the client using the software continue to use the software even writing private software using extjs? I.e. if they get the product, can they use extjs to code since they are not distributing (which would require a license or release as GPL).

Can consultants work on the software writing extjs code on the behalf of the client? Again, no distribution.

Would same apply if I release the server as SAAS?
    Kristian Ask
    United Nations OPS

Sencha - Support Team
    Vote Rating
    Gary Schlosberg is a splendid one to behold Gary Schlosberg is a splendid one to behold Gary Schlosberg is a splendid one to behold Gary Schlosberg is a splendid one to behold Gary Schlosberg is a splendid one to behold Gary Schlosberg is a splendid one to behold Gary Schlosberg is a splendid one to behold

In addition to considering any comments on this thread, you may want to contact our Sales department via our contact form:
    http://www.sencha.com/contact

This is often the best source of information regarding licensing issues.
    Are you a Sencha products veteran who has wondered what it might be like to work at Sencha? If so, please reach out to our human resources manager: fabienne.bell@sencha.com

Vote Rating

Sent to sales... Thanks!
    Kristian Ask
    United Nations OPS

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Max_nl will become famous soon enough Max_nl will become famous soon enough

GPL is "contagious" to everything that operates in the same process address space.
    You don't have to open source your server side software.
    However everything in the client side software has to be GPL.

Even if it is internal software, your own software and any other Javascript library, Java/Flash applet it integrates with, etc. within the client software has to fall under the GPL.
    It is true that the GPL only requires you to provide source code to anyone you distribute the "binaries" to, and therefore the effect on internal software that is only used on-site is limited.
    However if you or the consultants planned to use any other third-party components on the client side that are not open source, that would still be a problem.

Vote Rating

Thanks for the extensive reply. I wish sales could have given the same but unfortunately not.It'll work for me to create my own internal tool using ext using GPL but I must say I'm unimpressed with how they handle communication so I think I'll pick something else.
    Kristian Ask
    United Nations OPS

Thread Participants: 2