Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    rondestvedt is on a distinguished road

Default DatePicker doesn't properly respect 4-digit years

I understand that if a 2-digit year is entered into the date picker, that the century is determined by whether or not the date with the 2-digit year is in the next 20 years.

But if a 4-digit year is entered which is more than 20 years in the future, for example 5/12/2038, and I persist the value it is persisted correctly as 5/12/2038. However, when I then pop up the date picker 5/12/1938 displays, just as if I had entered 5/12/38 instead of 5/12/2038. The date picker should respect the century since it appears to be known.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Andreas Samjeske will become famous soon enough Andreas Samjeske will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by rondestvedt View Post
    I understand that if a 2-digit year is entered into the date picker, that the century is determined by whether or not the date with the 2-digit year is in the next 20 years.

But if a 4-digit year is entered which is more than 20 years in the future, for example 5/12/2038, and I persist the value it is persisted correctly as 5/12/2038. However, when I then pop up the date picker 5/12/1938 displays, just as if I had entered 5/12/38 instead of 5/12/2038. The date picker should respect the century since it appears to be known.
    I am unable to reproduce the problem in the examples or my own webapp (german locale).

Which version of GXT are you using?
    This problem might be locale-depending. Which locale are you using?
    I guess, there is a DateField involved. Which format does the propEditor have?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    rondestvedt is on a distinguished road

We are using version 3.1.0, with English-US as the locale. Yes, there is a DateField and I'm not setting the property editor so it's using the default with format PredefinedFormat.DATE_SHORT.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Andreas Samjeske will become famous soon enough Andreas Samjeske will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by rondestvedt View Post
    We are using version 3.1.0, with English-US as the locale. Yes, there is a DateField and I'm not setting the property editor so it's using the default with format PredefinedFormat.DATE_SHORT.
    Right. I used a plain DateField of GXT 3.1.0 and have been able to reproduce your problem:
    - Select a Date more then 20 years in future, like 1/1/2038, via Datepicker
    - DateField shows 1/1/38, since DATE_SHORT is default format.
    - Open Datepicker again and you see it is January 1st, 1938.

But I don't consider this a bug of Datepicker. Datepicker is just a nice presenter and choosing element of Dates. And I don't think DateField ist doing something wrong, either. What do you expect of DateField with PredefinedFormat.DATE_SHORT? It is doing its best guess on 2digit years.

The problem I see is this: PredefinedFormat.DATE_SHORT should not be the default for Datefield! 2-digit year has its problems. If someone explicitly set 2-digit year, he has to deal with it.

Seems like this has changed recently. The form example (GXT 3.1.3) doesn't set a format for the field, but it still has a 4-digit year. You should consider doing this, too:
    Code:
            DateField df = new DateField();
            df.setPropertyEditor(new DateTimePropertyEditor(DateTimeFormat.getFormat(PredefinedFormat.DATE_MEDIUM)));

Thread Participants: 1